What are the good parameters in order to scale an image

  • Pierre Attar
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2001
      Hi,

      I'm using FOP to format documents containing images fot the non profit
      french web site "mutu-xml" [1]. It seems that there is a bug in the 0.18
      version because if the image is larger thant the maximum page boxes, fop
      start an infinite page loop, crashing as soon as it becomes out of memory.

      So, I need to solve the infinite loop problem bu I also need to stretch my
      image ; two questions :

      - 1 - Theorically, I don't understand how is it possible to do using
      scaling, content-width, content-height attributes of the external-graphic
      FO element ;
      - 2 - Pratically, I've tried different thing within FOP and nothing works.
      Does it means that it is not yet implemented ? Does it means bug ? Or
      simply does it goes to the first question that is not solved ? If someone
      have done this stuff, is it possible to get some explained samples ?

      [1] http://www.mutu-xml.org/index.html

      Thanks an regards,

      Pierre
    • Ian Tindale
      Message 2 of 9 , May 10, 2001

        ...is there an English version?
      • Pierre Attar
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10, 2001
          At 10:55 10/05/2001, you wrote:
> [...]

          Only one page describing the project :
          http://www.mutu-xml.org/xml-base/annonces/PUB-ANN1-EN.html

        • John E. Simpson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2001
            Pierre Attar wrote:

            > I'm using FOP to format documents containing images fot the non profit
            > french web site "mutu-xml" [1]. It seems that there is a bug in the 0.18
            > version because if the image is larger thant the maximum page boxes, fop
            > start an infinite page loop, crashing as soon as it becomes out of memory.

            > two questions :
            > - 1 - Theorically, I don't understand how is it possible to do using
            > scaling, content-width, content-height attributes of the external-graphic
            > FO element ;
            > - 2 - Pratically, I've tried different thing within FOP and nothing works.
            > Does it means that it is not yet implemented ? Does it means bug ? Or
            > simply does it goes to the first question that is not solved ? If someone
            > have done this stuff, is it possible to get some explained samples ?

            I never managed to crash FOP -- at least, this way! On the other hand, I
            never tried using a graphic bigger than the page size (is that what you
            meant by "maximum page boxes"?).

            I don't have FOP here at the day job, so I can't test this myself, but
            you might try using the overflow trait on your external-graphic FO. You
            can specify to clip a too-large image using overflow="hidden", while
            overflow="scroll" means tge user agent (UA) is to provide scroll bars as
            needed for viewing the overflow portions of the image. The trait is
            supposed to apply to visual media only. (If rendering to print,
            overflow="scroll" wouldn't seem to make much sense.) Might be worth a try.

            John E. Simpson | "I accidentally installed the deer
            http://www.flixml.org | whistles on my car backwards. Now
            XML Q&A: www.xml.com | everywhere I go, I'm chased by deer."
            | (Steven Wright)
          • Pierre Attar
            Message 5 of 9 , May 10, 2001
              >I never managed to crash FOP -- at least, this way! On the other hand, I
              >never tried using a graphic bigger than the page size (is that what you
              >meant by "maximum page boxes"?).

              Yes, it is exactely what I mean. I use the boxe wording just because the
              graphic is larger than page height and width minus all margins.
              My problem is that I'm using FOP for PDF rendering. Therefore, scrolling
              features will not be usefull.