Page numbering for blank back

  • kathy_rainbolt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2003
      Is there any way to create page numbering in the style such that the
      page number for a blank back is indicated on the front (ex. Page 1/2
      blank)?
      Thanks,
      Kathy
    • PRAVEEN SAM
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
        Not sure if I understand your question correctly -
        Do you want a page number to appear as 1/2 where the
        second page is a blank ??

        If so you can try using page-number-citation ref-id
        and define the id "in" the blank page and the page
        numbering will pick up as 1/2 where 2 would the last
        page(in this case blank)

        Page (<fo:page-number /> ) of
        <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="theend"/>

        and you define "theend" in the blank page

        <fo:block id="theend"/>

        Hope this helps ...

        Cheers

        --- kathy_rainbolt <rainbolt@...> wrote:
        > Is there any way to create page numbering in the
        > style such that the
        > page number for a blank back is indicated on the
        > front (ex. Page 1/2
        > blank)?
        > Thanks,
        > Kathy

        =====

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • kathy_rainbolt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
          The problem is more complicated than that. In the specifications
          for military technical publications, the requirement is as follows:

          Blank pages. A blank page shall be assigned a number, but it shall
          appear on the preceding or following page. For example, if page 10
          of a document is blank, page 9 shall have the number 9/10 blank; or
          if page 9 of a document is blank, page 10 shall have the number 9
          blank/10.

          In other words, the blank page does not have a page number -- the
          page number appears on the side of the page that DOES have contents
          and the indication must be that the other side of the page would
          have the appropriate page number and it is blank.

          Is this possible in FO?

          Kathy

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
            At 2003-07-01 03:47 +0000, kathy_rainbolt wrote:
            >The problem is more complicated than that. In the specifications
            >for military technical publications, the requirement is as follows:
            >
            >Blank pages. A blank page shall be assigned a number, but it shall
            >appear on the preceding or following page. For example, if page 10
            >of a document is blank, page 9 shall have the number 9/10 blank; or
            >if page 9 of a document is blank, page 10 shall have the number 9
            >blank/10.
            >
            >In other words, the blank page does not have a page number -- the
            >page number appears on the side of the page that DOES have contents
            >and the indication must be that the other side of the page would
            >have the appropriate page number and it is blank.
            >
            >Is this possible in FO?

            No, this is not possible in XSL-FO 1.0. A given blank page could have the
            word "blank" in its page number, but not a sibling page.

            Be sure to bring your requirements to the editors at
            mailto:xsl-editors@... to ensure they consider what you need for future
            versions of the Recommendations.

            --
            Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
            North America public: XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

            ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
            ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
            ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
            Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info