Re: [XSL-FO] oddball footnote formatting requirements.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2003
      At 2003-06-26 22:00 +0000, you wrote:
      >There may be over a hundred items listed on a page. Sometimes, next
      >to the part number, there'll be a little super-scripted number in
      >parentheses. Let's say it's "(47)". At the bottom of the page,
      >there'll be a footnote associated with (47), (i.e. "47. also
      >available in plastic version"). Now, throughout the catalog, the
      >numbering remains consistent. 47 always means "also available in a
      >plastic version". and the same number might be included in several
      >parts on a page, though obviously, the note will only appear once at
      >the bottom of the page. And if a particular number is not used on a
      >page, then it's absent from the bottom.
      >
      >I'm not entirely sure xsl-fo can recreate this behavior.

      I don't think you will be successful with XSL-FO 1.0 because you need too
      much knowledge at transformation time about the information only known by
      the formatter at formatting time.

      >I'm
      >not much of a programmer to begin with).

      One doesn't need to be a programmer to get very successful "typical"
      results with XSL ... version 1.0 is only meant to address basic formatting
      requirements that would not cover the intelligence and dynamic knowledge of
      the formatting state as you require.

      >I've tried using markers, but without success so far.

      I don't think that will help you because markers can only be retrieved into
      static content assigned to a region, you will have to use a perimeter
      region for the static content because your flow is in the body region, and
      the extent of the perimeter region must be preset in your page geometry ...
      yet you imply you do not know how many items you may need on a given page.

      Using footnotes, you will only be able to get as many footnotes at the
      bottom of the page as you have "(47)" citations in your table body ...
      there is no way in XSL-FO 1.0 to consolidate or arbitrate multiple footnote
      bodies, or retrieved markers, or floats at the formatting stage.

      This doesn't fix your problem, but I hope it helps your understanding of
      the limitations we have in version 1.0. Although I was never on the
      committee, I commend the committee for finalizing a good level of
      functionality for a version 1.0 with which to produce great professional
      looking results ... they just had to draw a line in the sand somewhere in
      order to claim success and version 1.0 just doesn't quite do everything
      that encompasses all the myriad of formatting tasks some in our community
      might need right away.

      Don't give up on it ... just recognize where some limitations need to exist
      in this "first cut" ... and be sure to let the editors know about your
      formatting requirements so they can establish where to draw the next line
      in the sand.

      --
      Upcoming hands-on courses: XSLT/XPath North America: Aug 12, 2003
      - XSL-FO North America: Aug 4, 2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
      Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info