Re: [XSL-FO] Lookup Tables possible with XSL and FO??

  • John E. Simpson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2001
      sg_goli@... wrote:

      > Is it possible to use multiple xml files as input with XSL using
      > FO. I use this process to create a PDF. Has anyone done this
      > before??

      Yes. In order to use multiple source trees, you need to use one of two
      approaches:

      (1) Use the document() function to open the second (third, fourth, etc.)
      source tree. This can be more or less pleasant, depending on how complex
      those alternate inputs are.

      (2) Use a multi-pass transformation: on step 1, process the first source
      tree; on step 2, use as the source tree the transformed result of step
      1; and so on. This is less complex than (1) for any given
      transformation, but of course you have to balance against that the fact
      that you've now got multiple transformations to manage. If you're using
      MSXML to transform to (X)HTML this may not be an option at all. (But you
      did say you're transforming to XSL-FO. In this case, the Apache
      Project's Cocoon might be a real solid choice for you, as long as you
      can live with the -- for now -- limitations of using FOP as the XSL-FO
      processor.)

      John E. Simpson | "I accidentally installed the deer
      http://www.flixml.org | whistles on my car backwards. Now
      XML Q&A: www.xml.com | everywhere I go, I'm chased by deer."
    • sg_goli@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2001
        Thanks for your responses!

        Any good examples when using XSL FO. I am using XALAN, XERCER and
        FOP to perform my conversion to PDF.

        --- In XSL-FO@y..., Quintens Raf <raf.quintens@m...> wrote:
        > You include xml's in xml's by using external entity's in your
        Doctype.

        > Here is a link with explanations and some alternatives.
        > http://www.gca.org/papers/xmleurope2000/papers/s14-02.html
        >
        > Good luck
        > Raf Quintens

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Pierre Attar
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2001

          I'm using FOP to format documents containing images fot the non profit
          french web site "mutu-xml" [1]. It seems that there is a bug in the 0.18
          version because if the image is larger thant the maximum page boxes, fop
          start an infinite page loop, crashing as soon as it becomes out of memory.

          So, I need to solve the infinite loop problem bu I also need to stretch my
          image ; two questions :

          - 1 - Theorically, I don't understand how is it possible to do using
          scaling, content-width, content-height attributes of the external-graphic
          FO element ;
          - 2 - Pratically, I've tried different thing within FOP and nothing works.
          Does it means that it is not yet implemented ? Does it means bug ? Or
          simply does it goes to the first question that is not solved ? If someone
          have done this stuff, is it possible to get some explained samples ?

          [1] http://www.mutu-xml.org/index.html

          Thanks an regards,

          Pierre
        • Ian Tindale
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2001

            ...is there an English version?
          • Pierre Attar
            Message 5 of 9 , May 10, 2001
              At 10:55 10/05/2001, you wrote:
> [...]

              Only one page describing the project :
              http://www.mutu-xml.org/xml-base/annonces/PUB-ANN1-EN.html

            • John E. Simpson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                Pierre Attar wrote:

                > I'm using FOP to format documents containing images fot the non profit
                > french web site "mutu-xml" [1]. It seems that there is a bug in the 0.18
                > version because if the image is larger thant the maximum page boxes, fop
                > start an infinite page loop, crashing as soon as it becomes out of memory.

                > two questions :
                > - 1 - Theorically, I don't understand how is it possible to do using
                > scaling, content-width, content-height attributes of the external-graphic
                > FO element ;
                > - 2 - Pratically, I've tried different thing within FOP and nothing works.
                > Does it means that it is not yet implemented ? Does it means bug ? Or
                > simply does it goes to the first question that is not solved ? If someone
                > have done this stuff, is it possible to get some explained samples ?

                I never managed to crash FOP -- at least, this way! On the other hand, I
                never tried using a graphic bigger than the page size (is that what you
                meant by "maximum page boxes"?).

                I don't have FOP here at the day job, so I can't test this myself, but
                you might try using the overflow trait on your external-graphic FO. You
                can specify to clip a too-large image using overflow="hidden", while
                overflow="scroll" means tge user agent (UA) is to provide scroll bars as
                needed for viewing the overflow portions of the image. The trait is
                supposed to apply to visual media only. (If rendering to print,
                overflow="scroll" wouldn't seem to make much sense.) Might be worth a try.

                John E. Simpson | "I accidentally installed the deer
                http://www.flixml.org | whistles on my car backwards. Now
                XML Q&A: www.xml.com | everywhere I go, I'm chased by deer."
                | (Steven Wright)
              • Pierre Attar
                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                  >I never managed to crash FOP -- at least, this way! On the other hand, I
                  >never tried using a graphic bigger than the page size (is that what you
                  >meant by "maximum page boxes"?).

                  Yes, it is exactely what I mean. I use the boxe wording just because the
                  graphic is larger than page height and width minus all margins.
                  My problem is that I'm using FOP for PDF rendering. Therefore, scrolling
                  features will not be usefull.