Lookup Tables possible with XSL and FO??

  • sg_goli@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2001
      Is it possible to use multiple xml files as input with XSL using
      FO. I use this process to create a PDF. Has anyone done this
      before??

      Thanks
      SG
    • Quintens Raf
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2001
        You include xml's in xml's by using external entity's in your Doctype.

        Here is a link with explanations and some alternatives.
        http://www.gca.org/papers/xmleurope2000/papers/s14-02.html

        Good luck
        Raf Quintens

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2001
          sg_goli@... wrote:

          > Is it possible to use multiple xml files as input with XSL using
          > FO. I use this process to create a PDF. Has anyone done this
          > before??

          Yes. In order to use multiple source trees, you need to use one of two
          approaches:

          (1) Use the document() function to open the second (third, fourth, etc.)
          source tree. This can be more or less pleasant, depending on how complex
          those alternate inputs are.

          (2) Use a multi-pass transformation: on step 1, process the first source
          tree; on step 2, use as the source tree the transformed result of step
          1; and so on. This is less complex than (1) for any given
          transformation, but of course you have to balance against that the fact
          that you've now got multiple transformations to manage. If you're using
          MSXML to transform to (X)HTML this may not be an option at all. (But you
          did say you're transforming to XSL-FO. In this case, the Apache
          Project's Cocoon might be a real solid choice for you, as long as you
          can live with the -- for now -- limitations of using FOP as the XSL-FO
          processor.)

          John E. Simpson | "I accidentally installed the deer
          http://www.flixml.org | whistles on my car backwards. Now
          XML Q&A: www.xml.com | everywhere I go, I'm chased by deer."
        • sg_goli@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2001
            Thanks for your responses!

            Any good examples when using XSL FO. I am using XALAN, XERCER and
            FOP to perform my conversion to PDF.

            --- In XSL-FO@y..., Quintens Raf <raf.quintens@m...> wrote:
            > You include xml's in xml's by using external entity's in your
            Doctype.

            > Here is a link with explanations and some alternatives.
            > http://www.gca.org/papers/xmleurope2000/papers/s14-02.html
            >
            > Good luck
            > Raf Quintens

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Pierre Attar
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2001

              I'm using FOP to format documents containing images fot the non profit
              french web site "mutu-xml" [1]. It seems that there is a bug in the 0.18
              version because if the image is larger thant the maximum page boxes, fop
              start an infinite page loop, crashing as soon as it becomes out of memory.

              So, I need to solve the infinite loop problem bu I also need to stretch my
              image ; two questions :

              - 1 - Theorically, I don't understand how is it possible to do using
              scaling, content-width, content-height attributes of the external-graphic
              FO element ;
              - 2 - Pratically, I've tried different thing within FOP and nothing works.
              Does it means that it is not yet implemented ? Does it means bug ? Or
              simply does it goes to the first question that is not solved ? If someone
              have done this stuff, is it possible to get some explained samples ?

              [1] http://www.mutu-xml.org/index.html

              Thanks an regards,

              Pierre
            • Ian Tindale
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2001

                ...is there an English version?
              • Pierre Attar
                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                  At 10:55 10/05/2001, you wrote:
> [...]

                  Only one page describing the project :
                  http://www.mutu-xml.org/xml-base/annonces/PUB-ANN1-EN.html

                • John E. Simpson
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                    Pierre Attar wrote:

                    > I'm using FOP to format documents containing images fot the non profit
                    > french web site "mutu-xml" [1]. It seems that there is a bug in the 0.18
                    > version because if the image is larger thant the maximum page boxes, fop
                    > start an infinite page loop, crashing as soon as it becomes out of memory.

                    > two questions :
                    > - 1 - Theorically, I don't understand how is it possible to do using
                    > scaling, content-width, content-height attributes of the external-graphic
                    > FO element ;
                    > - 2 - Pratically, I've tried different thing within FOP and nothing works.
                    > Does it means that it is not yet implemented ? Does it means bug ? Or
                    > simply does it goes to the first question that is not solved ? If someone
                    > have done this stuff, is it possible to get some explained samples ?

                    I never managed to crash FOP -- at least, this way! On the other hand, I
                    never tried using a graphic bigger than the page size (is that what you
                    meant by "maximum page boxes"?).

                    I don't have FOP here at the day job, so I can't test this myself, but
                    you might try using the overflow trait on your external-graphic FO. You
                    can specify to clip a too-large image using overflow="hidden", while
                    overflow="scroll" means tge user agent (UA) is to provide scroll bars as
                    needed for viewing the overflow portions of the image. The trait is
                    supposed to apply to visual media only. (If rendering to print,
                    overflow="scroll" wouldn't seem to make much sense.) Might be worth a try.

                    John E. Simpson | "I accidentally installed the deer
                    http://www.flixml.org | whistles on my car backwards. Now
                    XML Q&A: www.xml.com | everywhere I go, I'm chased by deer."
                    | (Steven Wright)
                  • Pierre Attar
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                      >I never managed to crash FOP -- at least, this way! On the other hand, I
                      >never tried using a graphic bigger than the page size (is that what you
                      >meant by "maximum page boxes"?).

                      Yes, it is exactely what I mean. I use the boxe wording just because the
                      graphic is larger than page height and width minus all margins.
                      My problem is that I'm using FOP for PDF rendering. Therefore, scrolling
                      features will not be usefull.