Re: [XSL-FO] dynamic headers

  • Wendell Piez
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2001
      I think what Joerg means is what are often called "running headers".

      If the header is the same through a page-sequence, it's easy enough; the
      harder case is where in a single page sequence, the header changes (maybe
      it indicates what section you're in at the bottom of the page, without
      starting a new page-sequence for each section). I can't give you details,
      but XSL-FO uses fo:marker and fo:retrieve-marker (see the spec, 6.11.3) to
      do this. It's a bit complex, but then, the problem is complex.

      So no, I can't give an "easy example" either. I'd check the usual suspects:
      RenderX's demos, etc. (I think they implement this don't they?)

      Good luck,
      Wendell

      At 08:35 PM 4/26/01, you wrote:

      > >> can someone offer me an easy example of on how to generate dynamic
      >headers
      > >> (for FOP or XEP)?
      >
      > >Er, what do you mean by "dynamic headers"? Just page headers containing
      > >content from the source document, page numbers, that sort of thing?
      >

      >No, I mean: a header, in which you find the title of each page (for
      >example).
      >The header should be like a "link" to the title of the text.

      Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@...
      Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
      17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
      Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
      Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
    • Nikolai Grigoriev
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2001
        Wendell Piez <wapiez@...> wrote:

        > I think what Joerg means is what are often called "running headers".

        > So no, I can't give an "easy example" either. I'd check the usual suspects:
        > RenderX's demos, etc. (I think they implement this don't they?)

        Yes we do. If it's about running headers - there is a basic example in my
        tutorial (http://www.renderx.com/Tests/doc/html/tutorial.html#b1b2c32,
        "Markers"). Moreover, the style for PDF version of the tutorial itself
        contains running headers - chapter names are repeated in the header.
        There is also a lengthy test for markers in the test suite
        (www.renderx.com/testcases.html); they are also used in our style
        for W3C documents (www.renderx.com/xmlspec.html).

        The tutorial, with source code and stylesheets, is bundled with XEP's
        eval version, so Joerg has probably seen it. I therefore suspect he needs
        something more complex...

        Best regards,

        Nikolai Grigoriev
        RenderX