RE: [XSL-FO] Re: embedded HTML in XML - PDF conversion

  • Dahlquist_Michael/shure@shure.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
      I meant to say: the HTML in your XML is well-formed, so it can be
      transformed by a stylesheet. It does seem that XHTML2FO would work for
      you, with your own additions to deal with any non-HTML XML you may want
      transformed.

      The process is: install an FO processor, such as FOP, renderx, antenna
      house, etc. Use xhtml2fo.xsl (or your own version) to transform the XML
      documents output from your database into FO (which is XML with both
      data and formatting information). Then use your FO processor to convert
      the FO to PDF. (Most processors deal with both the transform-to-FO and
      the convert-to-PDF processes.)

      Apache has Cocoon (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon), which you can use to
      generate PDF files from XML on the fly, over the web.

      I hope this helps -

      Michael

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
        Thank you for this info.

        I have created the following sample file and than called it from a
        web browser expecting to generate a newly formatted document
        containing the FO tags. However my browser simply rendered the
        original HTML document. How do I generate/receive the formatted XSL-
        FO?

        Thank you again for all the help you provided me.

        <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Xhtml2fo.xsl"?>
        The content of the body element is displayed in your browser.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
          You don't want to format the XHTML with a stylesheet for display in a
          browser; you want to transform it into FO. You'll have to use an XSLT
          processor, like Saxon (http://saxon.sourceforge.net/), not IE, to get
          FO.

          I added html as a namespace in your xml file:

          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
          The content of the body element is displayed in your browser.

          ...and it processed fine in Saxon, as well as in FOP processors (which
          will give you a PDF directly from your XML) like XEP:

          http://xep.xattic.com/

          It also processed fine in Antenna House - and if you still have
          questions about how this all works, I recommend their tutorial:

          http://www.antennahouse.com/XSLsample/XSLsample.htm

          Michael