Re: embedded HTML in XML - PDF conversion

  • araffoul
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
      It is easy to output XML nodes containg HTML using XSL because the
      end result is HTML. I'm doing this as follows:

      <xsl:value-of select="Notes_E" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>

      disable-output-escaping="yes" will preserve all HTML. However since I
      want to produce PDF, I have to basically translate the HTML to XSL-FO
      and than process it to produce the PDF. Coding a translator between
      HTML to XSL-FO is almost impossible. I'm wondering if there is
      something already available that I can use. XHTML2FO looks like a
      good solution. I'm just having a hard time using it.

      The PDF file has to be also generated on the fly from the web site.

      I appreciate receiving other suggestions to solving this problem.

      Thank you,

      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dahlquist_Michael/shure@s... wrote:
      > Why does having HTML tags within your XML prevent you from using
      XSL-FO

    • Dahlquist_Michael/shure@shure.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
        I meant to say: the HTML in your XML is well-formed, so it can be
        transformed by a stylesheet. It does seem that XHTML2FO would work for
        you, with your own additions to deal with any non-HTML XML you may want
        transformed.

        The process is: install an FO processor, such as FOP, renderx, antenna
        house, etc. Use xhtml2fo.xsl (or your own version) to transform the XML
        documents output from your database into FO (which is XML with both
        data and formatting information). Then use your FO processor to convert
        the FO to PDF. (Most processors deal with both the transform-to-FO and
        the convert-to-PDF processes.)

        Apache has Cocoon (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon), which you can use to
        generate PDF files from XML on the fly, over the web.

        I hope this helps -

        Michael

        It is easy to output XML nodes containg HTML using XSL because the
        end result is HTML. I'm doing this as follows:

        <xsl:value-of select="Notes_E" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>

        disable-output-escaping="yes" will preserve all HTML. However since I
        want to produce PDF, I have to basically translate the HTML to XSL-FO
        and than process it to produce the PDF. Coding a translator between
        HTML to XSL-FO is almost impossible. I'm wondering if there is
        something already available that I can use. XHTML2FO looks like a
        good solution. I'm just having a hard time using it.

        The PDF file has to be also generated on the fly from the web site.

        I appreciate receiving other suggestions to solving this problem.

        Thank you,

        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dahlquist_Michael/shure@s... wrote:
        > Why does having HTML tags within your XML prevent you from using
        XSL-FO
        > stylesheets? If you're using XSL to output HTML, I'd think you
        could
        > use XSL-FO to output FO->PDF. Though I may be missing something,
        too.

        > Michael

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
          Thank you for this info.

          I have created the following sample file and than called it from a
          web browser expecting to generate a newly formatted document
          containing the FO tags. However my browser simply rendered the
          original HTML document. How do I generate/receive the formatted XSL-
          FO?

          Thank you again for all the help you provided me.

          <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Xhtml2fo.xsl"?>
          The content of the body element is displayed in your browser.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
            You don't want to format the XHTML with a stylesheet for display in a
            browser; you want to transform it into FO. You'll have to use an XSLT
            processor, like Saxon (http://saxon.sourceforge.net/), not IE, to get
            FO.

            I added html as a namespace in your xml file:

            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
            The content of the body element is displayed in your browser.

            ...and it processed fine in Saxon, as well as in FOP processors (which
            will give you a PDF directly from your XML) like XEP:

            http://xep.xattic.com/

            It also processed fine in Antenna House - and if you still have
            questions about how this all works, I recommend their tutorial:

            http://www.antennahouse.com/XSLsample/XSLsample.htm

            Michael