Re: [XSL-FO] Re: embedded HTML in XML - PDF conversion

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
      At 2003-06-02 19:26 +0000, araffoul wrote:
      >Actually I'm looking at this solution, however I don't know how to
      >use it.

      If you are unaware of XSL-FO and stylesheets, why is it you think you need
      XSL-FO? Are you sure you are looking for the information that you
      need? Perhaps you are confusing XSL-FO with something else that you need.

      >Assume I have an HTML File called test.html. How do I send it through
      >xhtml2fo for formatting.

      xhtml2fo is an XSLT stylesheet for use with XML inputs, so you would use it
      as you would use any other XSLT stylesheet:

      (1) - convert your HTML to XHTML
      - perhaps using http://tidy.sf.net for conversion

      (2) - use XSLT to convert XHTML to XSL-FO

      (3) - use an XSL-FO engine to create the formatted output
      - the engine might even incorporate (2) as Antenna House does

      And please learn more about what XSL-FO is and where it is used from web
      sites or even from the free preview of our book that is available off our
      web site.

      I hope this helps.

      ................... Ken

      --
      Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
      - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
      Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
    • araffoul
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
        Sorry, I may have misled you.

        I'm generating XML file from a SQL database than using XSL producing
        HTML. I would also like to produce PDF files. The problem I'm having
        is some nodes within the XML document contain formatted data using
        HTML tags. Therefore it is not possible for me to create XSL-FO
        stylesheets for producing PDF because of the HTML content of some
        nodes.

        Therefore I though that I can potentially break the problem in two:
        1- Generate XSL-FO to process the "normal" XML nodes (nodes not
        containing HTML)
        2- For nodes that contain HTML process them through another interface
        that can potentially generate the XSL-FO.

        In theory I should be able to process the resulting HTML file from
        the original XML and XSL to produce the XSL-FO. However, I think that
        it will be more efficient to produce the XSL-FO manually because I
        have more control over the display.

        Does this sound ok? Is there something missing.

        Thank you again.

      • Dahlquist_Michael/shure@shure.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
          Why does having HTML tags within your XML prevent you from using XSL-FO
          stylesheets? If you're using XSL to output HTML, I'd think you could
          use XSL-FO to output FO->PDF. Though I may be missing something, too.

          Michael

          I'm generating XML file from a SQL database than using XSL producing
          HTML. I would also like to produce PDF files. The problem I'm having
          is some nodes within the XML document contain formatted data using
          HTML tags. Therefore it is not possible for me to create XSL-FO
          stylesheets for producing PDF because of the HTML content of some
          nodes.

          Therefore I though that I can potentially break the problem in two:
          1- Generate XSL-FO to process the "normal" XML nodes (nodes not
          containing HTML)
          2- For nodes that contain HTML process them through another interface
          that can potentially generate the XSL-FO.

          In theory I should be able to process the resulting HTML file from
          the original XML and XSL to produce the XSL-FO. However, I think that
          it will be more efficient to produce the XSL-FO manually because I
          have more control over the display.

          Does this sound ok? Is there something missing.

          Thank you again.
          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
          > At 2003-06-02 19:26 +0000, araffoul wrote:
          > >Actually I'm looking at this solution, however I don't know how to
          > >use it.
          >
          > If you are unaware of XSL-FO and stylesheets, why is it you think
          you need
          > XSL-FO? Are you sure you are looking for the information that you
          > need? Perhaps you are confusing XSL-FO with something else that
          you need.

          > >Assume I have an HTML File called test.html. How do I send it
          through
          > >xhtml2fo for formatting.
          >
          > xhtml2fo is an XSLT stylesheet for use with XML inputs, so you
          would use it
          > as you would use any other XSLT stylesheet:
          >
          > (1) - convert your HTML to XHTML
          > - perhaps using http://tidy.sf.net for conversion
          >
          > (2) - use XSLT to convert XHTML to XSL-FO
          >
          > (3) - use an XSL-FO engine to create the formatted output
          > - the engine might even incorporate (2) as Antenna House does
          >
          > And please learn more about what XSL-FO is and where it is used
          from web
          > sites or even from the free preview of our book that is available
          off our
          > web site.
          >
          > I hope this helps.
          >
          > ................... Ken
          >

          > --
          > Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
          > - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003
          >
          > G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@C...
          > ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          > ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
          > ISBN 1-894049-08-X Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
          > ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
          > Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
          > Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • araffoul
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
            It is easy to output XML nodes containg HTML using XSL because the
            end result is HTML. I'm doing this as follows:

            <xsl:value-of select="Notes_E" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>

            disable-output-escaping="yes" will preserve all HTML. However since I
            want to produce PDF, I have to basically translate the HTML to XSL-FO
            and than process it to produce the PDF. Coding a translator between
            HTML to XSL-FO is almost impossible. I'm wondering if there is
            something already available that I can use. XHTML2FO looks like a
            good solution. I'm just having a hard time using it.

            The PDF file has to be also generated on the fly from the web site.

            I appreciate receiving other suggestions to solving this problem.

            Thank you,

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
              I meant to say: the HTML in your XML is well-formed, so it can be
              transformed by a stylesheet. It does seem that XHTML2FO would work for
              you, with your own additions to deal with any non-HTML XML you may want
              transformed.

              The process is: install an FO processor, such as FOP, renderx, antenna
              house, etc. Use xhtml2fo.xsl (or your own version) to transform the XML
              documents output from your database into FO (which is XML with both
              data and formatting information). Then use your FO processor to convert
              the FO to PDF. (Most processors deal with both the transform-to-FO and
              the convert-to-PDF processes.)

              Apache has Cocoon (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon), which you can use to
              generate PDF files from XML on the fly, over the web.

              I hope this helps -

              Michael

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                Thank you for this info.

                I have created the following sample file and than called it from a
                web browser expecting to generate a newly formatted document
                containing the FO tags. However my browser simply rendered the
                original HTML document. How do I generate/receive the formatted XSL-
                FO?

                Thank you again for all the help you provided me.

                <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Xhtml2fo.xsl"?>
                The content of the body element is displayed in your browser.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                  You don't want to format the XHTML with a stylesheet for display in a
                  browser; you want to transform it into FO. You'll have to use an XSLT
                  processor, like Saxon (http://saxon.sourceforge.net/), not IE, to get
                  FO.

                  I added html as a namespace in your xml file:

                  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                  The content of the body element is displayed in your browser.

                  ...and it processed fine in Saxon, as well as in FOP processors (which
                  will give you a PDF directly from your XML) like XEP:

                  http://xep.xattic.com/

                  It also processed fine in Antenna House - and if you still have
                  questions about how this all works, I recommend their tutorial:

                  http://www.antennahouse.com/XSLsample/XSLsample.htm

                  Michael