Re: [XSL-FO] embedded HTML in XML - PDF conversion

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
      At 2003-06-02 16:28 +0000, araffoul wrote:
      >Is there some tools that auto generate
      >XSL-FO from html?

      See xhtml2fo.xsl at http://www.antennahouse.com/XSLsample/XSLsample.htm

      I hope this helps.

      ................ Ken

      --
      Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
      - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
      Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
    • araffoul
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
        Actually I'm looking at this solution, however I don't know how to
        use it.
        Assume I have an HTML File called test.html. How do I send it through
        xhtml2fo for formatting.

        Thank you for your help.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
          At 2003-06-02 19:26 +0000, araffoul wrote:
          >Actually I'm looking at this solution, however I don't know how to
          >use it.

          If you are unaware of XSL-FO and stylesheets, why is it you think you need
          XSL-FO? Are you sure you are looking for the information that you
          need? Perhaps you are confusing XSL-FO with something else that you need.

          >Assume I have an HTML File called test.html. How do I send it through
          >xhtml2fo for formatting.

          xhtml2fo is an XSLT stylesheet for use with XML inputs, so you would use it
          as you would use any other XSLT stylesheet:

          (1) - convert your HTML to XHTML
          - perhaps using http://tidy.sf.net for conversion

          (2) - use XSLT to convert XHTML to XSL-FO

          (3) - use an XSL-FO engine to create the formatted output
          - the engine might even incorporate (2) as Antenna House does

          And please learn more about what XSL-FO is and where it is used from web
          sites or even from the free preview of our book that is available off our
          web site.

          I hope this helps.

          ................... Ken

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
            Sorry, I may have misled you.

            I'm generating XML file from a SQL database than using XSL producing
            HTML. I would also like to produce PDF files. The problem I'm having
            is some nodes within the XML document contain formatted data using
            HTML tags. Therefore it is not possible for me to create XSL-FO
            stylesheets for producing PDF because of the HTML content of some
            nodes.

            Therefore I though that I can potentially break the problem in two:
            1- Generate XSL-FO to process the "normal" XML nodes (nodes not
            containing HTML)
            2- For nodes that contain HTML process them through another interface
            that can potentially generate the XSL-FO.

            In theory I should be able to process the resulting HTML file from
            the original XML and XSL to produce the XSL-FO. However, I think that
            it will be more efficient to produce the XSL-FO manually because I
            have more control over the display.

            Does this sound ok? Is there something missing.

            Thank you again.

          • Dahlquist_Michael/shure@shure.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
              Why does having HTML tags within your XML prevent you from using XSL-FO
              stylesheets? If you're using XSL to output HTML, I'd think you could
              use XSL-FO to output FO->PDF. Though I may be missing something, too.

              Michael

              I'm generating XML file from a SQL database than using XSL producing
              HTML. I would also like to produce PDF files. The problem I'm having
              is some nodes within the XML document contain formatted data using
              HTML tags. Therefore it is not possible for me to create XSL-FO
              stylesheets for producing PDF because of the HTML content of some
              nodes.

              Therefore I though that I can potentially break the problem in two:
              1- Generate XSL-FO to process the "normal" XML nodes (nodes not
              containing HTML)
              2- For nodes that contain HTML process them through another interface
              that can potentially generate the XSL-FO.

              In theory I should be able to process the resulting HTML file from
              the original XML and XSL to produce the XSL-FO. However, I think that
              it will be more efficient to produce the XSL-FO manually because I
              have more control over the display.

              Does this sound ok? Is there something missing.

              Thank you again.
              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
              > At 2003-06-02 19:26 +0000, araffoul wrote:
              > >Actually I'm looking at this solution, however I don't know how to
              > >use it.
              >
              > If you are unaware of XSL-FO and stylesheets, why is it you think
              you need
              > XSL-FO? Are you sure you are looking for the information that you
              > need? Perhaps you are confusing XSL-FO with something else that
              you need.

              > >Assume I have an HTML File called test.html. How do I send it
              through
              > >xhtml2fo for formatting.
              >
              > xhtml2fo is an XSLT stylesheet for use with XML inputs, so you
              would use it
              > as you would use any other XSLT stylesheet:
              >
              > (1) - convert your HTML to XHTML
              > - perhaps using http://tidy.sf.net for conversion
              >
              > (2) - use XSLT to convert XHTML to XSL-FO
              >
              > (3) - use an XSL-FO engine to create the formatted output
              > - the engine might even incorporate (2) as Antenna House does
              >
              > And please learn more about what XSL-FO is and where it is used
              from web
              > sites or even from the free preview of our book that is available
              off our
              > web site.
              >
              > I hope this helps.
              >
              > ................... Ken
              >

              > --
              > Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
              > - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003
              >
              > G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@C...
              > ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
              > ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
              > ISBN 1-894049-08-X Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
              > ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
              > Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
              > Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • araffoul
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                It is easy to output XML nodes containg HTML using XSL because the
                end result is HTML. I'm doing this as follows:

                <xsl:value-of select="Notes_E" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>

                disable-output-escaping="yes" will preserve all HTML. However since I
                want to produce PDF, I have to basically translate the HTML to XSL-FO
                and than process it to produce the PDF. Coding a translator between
                HTML to XSL-FO is almost impossible. I'm wondering if there is
                something already available that I can use. XHTML2FO looks like a
                good solution. I'm just having a hard time using it.

                The PDF file has to be also generated on the fly from the web site.

                I appreciate receiving other suggestions to solving this problem.

                Thank you,

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                  I meant to say: the HTML in your XML is well-formed, so it can be
                  transformed by a stylesheet. It does seem that XHTML2FO would work for
                  you, with your own additions to deal with any non-HTML XML you may want
                  transformed.

                  The process is: install an FO processor, such as FOP, renderx, antenna
                  house, etc. Use xhtml2fo.xsl (or your own version) to transform the XML
                  documents output from your database into FO (which is XML with both
                  data and formatting information). Then use your FO processor to convert
                  the FO to PDF. (Most processors deal with both the transform-to-FO and
                  the convert-to-PDF processes.)

                  Apache has Cocoon (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon), which you can use to
                  generate PDF files from XML on the fly, over the web.

                  I hope this helps -

                  Michael

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Thank you for this info.

                    I have created the following sample file and than called it from a
                    web browser expecting to generate a newly formatted document
                    containing the FO tags. However my browser simply rendered the
                    original HTML document. How do I generate/receive the formatted XSL-
                    FO?

                    Thank you again for all the help you provided me.

                    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Xhtml2fo.xsl"?>
                    The content of the body element is displayed in your browser.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                      You don't want to format the XHTML with a stylesheet for display in a
                      browser; you want to transform it into FO. You'll have to use an XSLT
                      processor, like Saxon (http://saxon.sourceforge.net/), not IE, to get
                      FO.

                      I added html as a namespace in your xml file:

                      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                      The content of the body element is displayed in your browser.

                      ...and it processed fine in Saxon, as well as in FOP processors (which
                      will give you a PDF directly from your XML) like XEP:

                      http://xep.xattic.com/

                      It also processed fine in Antenna House - and if you still have
                      questions about how this all works, I recommend their tutorial: