running page numbers

  • notable17
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2003
      I have a need to allow users to input a set of dates for an invoice
      (ie; 5/3/2003 - 5/10/2003) and based on that input, an xml file is
      created that I then format. The issue is that I would like separate
      page numbering for each individual invoice in the larger .pdf file,
      not page numbering from 1 to x for the entire .pdf file. Is there
      and example of this that someone could point me to? I've searched
      this group but haven't really came up with anything that does this.
      Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong keywords. Any help would be
      appreciated

      -DG-
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2003
        At 2003-05-28 16:52 +0000, notable17 wrote:
        >I have a need to allow users to input a set of dates for an invoice
        >(ie; 5/3/2003 - 5/10/2003) and based on that input, an xml file is
        >created that I then format. The issue is that I would like separate
        >page numbering for each individual invoice in the larger .pdf file,
        >not page numbering from 1 to x for the entire .pdf file. Is there
        >and example of this that someone could point me to? I've searched
        >this group but haven't really came up with anything that does this.

        >Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong keywords. Any help would be
        >appreciated

        Put each invoice into a separate page sequence, restarting the page
        numbering at one for each page sequence.

        You can add "1 of x" for each invoice by adding a unique id at the end of
        each page sequence and then citing that id's page number.

        I hope this helps.

        ........... Ken

        --
        Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
        - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
        ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
        Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info
      • notable17
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2003
          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
          > At 2003-05-28 16:52 +0000, notable17 wrote:
          > >I have a need to allow users to input a set of dates for an invoice
          > >(ie; 5/3/2003 - 5/10/2003) and based on that input, an xml file is
          > >created that I then format. The issue is that I would like
          separate
          > >page numbering for each individual invoice in the larger .pdf file,
          > >not page numbering from 1 to x for the entire .pdf file. Is there
          > >and example of this that someone could point me to? I've searched
          > >this group but haven't really came up with anything that does this.

          > >Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong keywords. Any help would be
          > >appreciated
          >
          > Put each invoice into a separate page sequence, restarting the page
          > numbering at one for each page sequence.
          >
          > You can add "1 of x" for each invoice by adding a unique id at the
          end of
          > each page sequence and then citing that id's page number.
          >
          > I hope this helps.
          >
          > ........... Ken

          I guess I'm still unsure of how to use multiple dynamic page
          sequences. My page sequence appears once in my xsl:

          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
          <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
          xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"

          <xsl:template match="/">
          <fo:root>
          <fo:layout-master-set>
          <fo:simple-page-master master-name="default-page" page-height="11in"
          page-width="8.5in" margin-left="5mm" margin-right="5mm" margin-
          top="2.5mm">
          <fo:region-before border-style="none" extent="50mm"/>
          <fo:region-body border-style="none" margin-top="40mm" margin-
          bottom="10mm"/>
          <fo:region-after extent="10mm"/>
          </fo:simple-page-master>
          </fo:layout-master-set>

          <fo:page-sequence master-reference="default-page" initial-page-
          number="1" format="1" font-family="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" font-
          size="9pt">
          <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
          ----------------------
          <!-- rest of code here -->
          ----------------------
          </fo:page-sequence>
          </fo:root>
          </xsl:template>
          </xsl:stylesheet>

          Is there a place I should be moving the page-sequence to in the xsl?
          In the flow? Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance.

          -DG-
        • notable17
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
              At 2003-06-03 16:46 +0000, notable17 wrote:
              >--- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "notable17" <darryl_grimes@h...> wrote:
              > > --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...>
              >wrote:
              > > > Put each invoice into a separate page sequence, restarting the
              >page
              > > > numbering at one for each page sequence.
              > > I guess I'm still unsure of how to use multiple dynamic page
              > > sequences. My page sequence appears once in my xsl:

              Then change the XSL to create a page-sequence for every invoice.

              > > Is there a place I should be moving the page-sequence to in the
              >xsl?

              You don't show how you are processing invoices, but I'm assuming you have a
              template rule that matches on invoice ... take the page-sequence out of the
              template rule for the root node and move it into the template rule for the
              invoice.

              > > In the flow?

              No. The flow is inside of each page-sequence.

              >Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance.

              Review the reading and research you have already done in the basics of
              XSL-FO, then ignorance isn't an issue and finesse is all that is
              needed. Mail lists are good places to learn quirks and techniques, but not
              basics.

              I hope this helps.

              ................ Ken

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
                --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
                > At 2003-06-03 16:46 +0000, notable17 wrote:
                > >--- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "notable17" <darryl_grimes@h...>
                wrote:
                > > > --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...>
                > >page
                > > > I guess I'm still unsure of how to use multiple dynamic page
                > > > sequences. My page sequence appears once in my xsl:
                >
                > Then change the XSL to create a page-sequence for every invoice.
                >
                > > > Is there a place I should be moving the page-sequence to in the
                > >xsl?
                >
                > You don't show how you are processing invoices, but I'm assuming
                you have a
                > template rule that matches on invoice ... take the page-sequence
                out of the
                > template rule for the root node and move it into the template rule
                for the
                > invoice.
                >
                > > > In the flow?
                >
                > No. The flow is inside of each page-sequence.
                >
                > >Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance.
                >
                > Review the reading and research you have already done in the basics
                of
                > XSL-FO, then ignorance isn't an issue and finesse is all that is
                > needed. Mail lists are good places to learn quirks and techniques,
                but not
                > basics.
                >
                > I hope this helps.

                Thanks for the help. I went back and revisited the basic structure
                of an xsl:fo document and realized that the tool that originally
                created the first xsl document had done a few odd things that I
                understood to be standard practice, such as putting only one template
                match in at the top of the doc and closing it at the end of the doc.
                The same was also done with the root tag as well. I moved them up to
                just after closing the layout master set and all worked much better.
                Thanks again.