Re: [XSL-FO] What is XSL-FO?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2003
      At 2003-05-23 12:47 +0000, Tanin Na Nakorn wrote:
      >Does XSL-FO create report that printable?
      >(hello.fo -- > hello.pdf)

      Yes, there are tools to convert an XML instance of FO into a file of PDF.

      >or we can print form hello.fo?

      Yes, there are tools that will read an XML instance of FO and offer you the
      choice to print the file directly through the Windows print subsystem.

      >please explain it easy because i'm not good at English.

      I assume you know that to send your XML information to a web browser you
      have to transform your XML into HTML because the browser understands
      HTML. In the very same way when you want to send your XML information to
      paper you have to transform your XML information into XSL-FO because an
      XSL-FO engine understands the XSL-FO vocabulary and produces a paginated
      output.

      All you have to do is learn the XSL-FO vocabulary for the same reasons that
      you had to learn the HTML vocabulary.

      There is a free download on our web site of the introductory chapters of
      the electronic book that we sell on our web site ... follow the top link
      named "Book Sales" for the free download. Updates are available at no charge.

      There are also other online resources:

      http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/xsl-fo.html
      http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/01/17/xsl-fo/index.html
      http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible2/chapters/ch18.html
      http://zvon.org/xxl/xslfoReference/Output/index.html
      http://xml.com/pub/a/2002/03/20/xsl-fo.html

      And a number of paper titles as well.

      I hope this helps.

      --
      Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
      - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
      Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info