Re: Different PDF results from a simple FO file

  • raymundo2104
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@i...> wrote:
      > raymundo2104 wrote:
      >

      > > I ran the above code using FOP 0.20.5RC and got the following
      > > warnings:
      > >
      > > [WARNING] Some static content could not fit in the area
      > > [WARNING] Some static content could not fit in the area
      > > [WARNING] Some static content could not fit in the area
      > >
      > > FOP 0.20.5RC created a 2-page PDF file where I expect only 1
      page!
      > > The 2nd page was blank!
      > >
      > > Then I tried XSL Formatter 2.4.2003.312 (eval) and I did not get
      any
      > > errors nor warnings and got 1 page and the result I expected.
      > >
      > > Then I tried XEP 3.12 (eval) and I got this message:
      > > {!no space for an element, trying to recover}
      > >
      > > XEP 3.12 did create a 1-page PDF file but the result is the worst
      > > amongst the 3 renderers.
      >
      > I notice two things immediately:
      >
      > - you've set the vertical size of the table to be precisely the
      same as
      > the vertical extent of the area. Depending on the details of how
      the FO
      > implementation works, this might lead to problems, as there could
      be
      > subtle things like accounting for border widths.
      >
      > - Your use of tables is completely unnecessary (at least with XEP
      and
      > XSL Formatter). You can get the same effect with a simple block
      > container, e.g.:
      >
      > <fo:static-content>
      > <fo:block-container
      > block-progression-dimension="100%"
      > inline-progression-dimension="100%"
      > display-align="center"
      > text-align="center"
      > border-top-color="black"
      > border-top-style="solid"
      > border-top-width="0.23cm"
      > border-bottom-color="black"
      > border-bottom-style="solid"
      > border-bottom-width="0.12cm"
      > border-left-color="black"
      > border-left-style="solid"
      > border-left-width="0.12cm"
      > border-right-color="black"
      > border-right-style="solid"
      > border-right-width="0.215cm"
      > background-color="yellow">
      > <fo:block>region before</fo:block>
      > </fo:block-container>
      > </fo:static-content>
      >
      > By using percentages for the dimensions of the blocks you also
      avoid any
      > overflow conditions.
      >
      > Also, your specification of zero-width region-end and corresponding
      body
      > region margin is unnecessary--an unspecified region has no extent
      > (because it doesn't exist).
      >
      > BTW, as a rule XEP will provide the best error reporting of any of
      the
      > FO implementations, while XSL Formatter is the most forgiving and
      does
      > not claim to be a validating FO processor. For that reason, even
      when
      > I'm using XSL Formatter for my final rendering, I like to use XEP
> [...]

      Hi Eliot,

      Many thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion and it did work
      perfectly with RenderX' XEP. But didn't work with XSL formatter. I
      got the following:

      Area overflow: region-before (page 1)

      Here's the code:

      <fo:static-content flow-name="before">
      <fo:block-container
      block-progression-dimension="100%"
      inline-progression-dimension="100%"
      display-align="center"
      text-align="center"
      border-top-color="black"
      border-top-style="solid"
      border-top-width="0.23cm"
      border-bottom-color="black"
      border-bottom-style="solid"
      border-bottom-width="0.12cm"
      border-left-color="black"
      border-left-style="solid"
      border-left-width="0.12cm"
      border-right-color="black"
      border-right-style="solid"
      border-right-width="0.215cm"
      background-color="yellow">
      <fo:block>region before</fo:block>
      </fo:block-container>
      </fo:static-content>

      FOP 0.20.5RC produced more errors as expected (got this before
      everytime I use "block-progression-dimension" attribute:
      [ERROR] Error in block-progression-dimension propert
      value '100%' ..... No conversion defined

      The use of table is due to the persistence to use FOP as I need to
      produce hundreds of PDF files. I need to experiment some more and
      post when I discover something interesting. Greatly appreciate your
      time and effort to help. You are heaven-sent to this community!

      Cheers,

      Enrico Raymundo
      Senior Applications Developer
      NetImpact Online Publishing