Euro currency problem

  • rvishnu76
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28, 2003

      I want to display the euro symbol in my pdf. I am using UTF-8
      character encoding and I tried with various fonts. But nothing worked
      out. In my xml the euro symbol is present, but when I sent to the fo,
      the symbol is not getting printed.

      I tried by embedding the Arial fonts as given in the font
      documentation too but it didn't help me. Its not throwing any
      exception except it prints an ? symbol except the euro symbol.

      Can I have suggestion regarding this problem?

      Should I use different fonts, or encoding or some other things. I am
      not having any clue why its not printing the euro symbol.

      I am using Acrobat 5.0 in Windows 2000 machine.

      Any suggestion will be of great help.

      Regards,
      VishnuVardhan.
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
        At 2003-04-29 06:33 +0000, rvishnu76 wrote:
        >I want to display the euro symbol in my pdf. I am using UTF-8
        >character encoding and I tried with various fonts. But nothing worked
        >out.
        >I am using Acrobat 5.0 in Windows 2000 machine.

        You don't mention which software you are using.

        I edited what I thought would work and tested it with Antenna House and it
        worked first time (though I'm running Acrobat 4 on XP). I've attached an
        image of what I see on my page.

        I hope this helps, though I realize it won't shed light on your specific
        question of why it isn't working on your machine.

        ................ Ken
        ----------

        --
        Upcoming hands-on courses: Europe (XSLT/XPath): May 5, 2003
        - Europe (XSL-FO): May 16, 2003

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
          At 2003-04-29 07:40 -0400, I wrote:
          >At 2003-04-29 06:33 +0000, rvishnu76 wrote:
          > >I want to display the euro symbol in my pdf. I am using UTF-8
          > >character encoding and I tried with various fonts. But nothing worked
          > >out.
          > >I am using Acrobat 5.0 in Windows 2000 machine.
          >
          >You don't mention which software you are using.
          >
          >I edited what I thought would work and tested it with Antenna House and it
          >worked first time (though I'm running Acrobat 4 on XP). I've attached an
          >image of what I see on my page.

          Since the attachment was stripped away, I posted the image in the Files
          section of the group, under the title "euro.gif":

          ............. Ken

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
            Sorry to mention which software am I using.

            I am using APACHE FOP for generating the pdf.

            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
            > At 2003-04-29 07:40 -0400, I wrote:
            > >At 2003-04-29 06:33 +0000, rvishnu76 wrote:
            > > >I want to display the euro symbol in my pdf. I am using UTF-8
            > > >character encoding and I tried with various fonts. But nothing
            worked
            > > >out.
            > > >I am using Acrobat 5.0 in Windows 2000 machine.
            > >
            > >You don't mention which software you are using.
            > >
            > >I edited what I thought would work and tested it with Antenna
            House and it
            > >worked first time (though I'm running Acrobat 4 on XP). I've
            attached an
            > >image of what I see on my page.
            >
            > Since the attachment was stripped away, I posted the image in the
            Files
            > section of the group, under the title "euro.gif":

            > ............. Ken
            >
            > --
            > Upcoming hands-on courses: Europe (XSLT/XPath): May 5, 2003
            > - Europe (XSL-FO): May 16, 2003
            > - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003
            >
            > G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@C...
            > ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
            > ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
            > ISBN 1-894049-08-X Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
            > ISBN 1-894049-10-1 Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
            > Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc
          • Bernhard Zwischenbrugger
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
              Hi

              What do you use as EURO character?
              € will not work,
              € should be ok.

              Bernhard

              > Hi,
              >
              > I want to display the euro symbol in my pdf. I am using UTF-8
              > character encoding and I tried with various fonts. But nothing worked
              > out. In my xml the euro symbol is present, but when I sent to the fo,
              > the symbol is not getting printed.
              >
              > I tried by embedding the Arial fonts as given in the font
              > documentation too but it didn't help me. Its not throwing any
              > exception except it prints an ? symbol except the euro symbol.
              >
              > Can I have suggestion regarding this problem?
              >
              > Should I use different fonts, or encoding or some other things. I am
              > not having any clue why its not printing the euro symbol.
              >
              > I am using Acrobat 5.0 in Windows 2000 machine.
              >
              > Any suggestion will be of great help.
              >
              > Regards,
              > VishnuVardhan.

            • Victor Mote
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2003
                rvishnu76 wrote:

                > I am using APACHE FOP for generating the pdf.

                There are two issues: Getting the character into your document, and getting
                it to render correctly. Based on your original post, it sounds like your
                problem is in the second category, which basically means your font probably
                doesn't have the glyph in it. The following link should help:
                http://xml.apache.org/fop/fo.html#xml-special-chars

                Victor Mote
              • rvishnu76
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 30, 2003
                  Still I am having the problem of displaying the euro symbol.

                  Previously, I took the euro symbol from the java class
                  DecimalFormatSymbols and set in my xml as a string. I also embedded
                  Arial font as described in the faq. But still ? is displayed and not
                  the euro symbol.

                  Then I tried with putting € , but in my pdf, the string
                  € is displayed and not the euro symbol. I tried with € but
                  the effect is still the same.

                  I am converting java object to xml and I am setting all these values
                  in my java object as a string. I am using
                  weblogic.soap.codec.SoapEncodingCodec for converting java object to
                  xml. Then I am passing this xml along with xsl to print the pdf.

                  Whenever I tried to open my xml with textpad or even notepad, I am
                  able to see the euro symbol or €. But in the pdf only ? or
                  € is printed.

                  I tried with fonts Arial(embedded), Helvetica, Times Roman,Symbol. I
                  even tried displaying some other symbols with thier unicode, but only
                  the code is displayed and not the symbol.

                  I feel I am missing some basic information which is causing all these
                  problems.

                  If I embed the euro symbol or the euro symbol code in my xsl:fo,
                  shouldn't it display the symbol. Its not doing that.

                  When I put € in the xsl and trying to print the euro I am
                  getting error.

                  Can anyone please let me know whatz wrong in the xsl or xml.

                  So whenever I write the xml, should I encode the string to UTF8?

                  regards,
                  VishnuVardhan.

                  --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Mote" <vic@o...> wrote:
                  > rvishnu76 wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am using APACHE FOP for generating the pdf.
                  >
                  > There are two issues: Getting the character into your document, and
                  getting
                  > it to render correctly. Based on your original post, it sounds like
                  your
                  > problem is in the second category, which basically means your font
                  probably
                  > doesn't have the glyph in it. The following link should help:
                  > http://xml.apache.org/fop/fo.html#xml-special-chars
                  >
                  > Victor Mote
                • Victor Mote
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30, 2003
                    VishnuVardhan wrote:

                    > Previously, I took the euro symbol from the java class
                    > DecimalFormatSymbols and set in my xml as a string. I also embedded
                    > Arial font as described in the faq. But still ? is displayed and not
                    > the euro symbol.

                    Your upstream processing might be one cause of your problem, but it will not
                    help us troubleshoot this. What is important is the contents of the XSL-FO
                    file -- I am unclear throughout this posting whether that is what we are
                    discussing. Also, you have failed to address the question of whether the
                    Arial font you embedded contains the glyph for the Euro symbol.

                    > Then I tried with putting € , but in my pdf, the string
                    > € is displayed and not the euro symbol. I tried with € but
                    > the effect is still the same.

                    Well, even if it is passing text through directly, why the semicolon on the
                    end of the input & not on the end of the output? Double-check this please.
                    With all of your pre-processing, is there any chance that what is actually
                    in the XSL-FO file is:
                    &#x20AC;

                    > I am converting java object to xml and I am setting all these values
                    > in my java object as a string. I am using
                    > weblogic.soap.codec.SoapEncodingCodec for converting java object to
                    > xml. Then I am passing this xml along with xsl to print the pdf.

                    Again, for troubleshooting, look only at the XSL-FO. That will tell you
                    whether the problem is upstream or downstream.

                    > Whenever I tried to open my xml with textpad or even notepad, I am
                    > able to see the euro symbol or €. But in the pdf only ? or
                    > € is printed.

                    Again, I don't see the semicolon at the end. Again, you haven't told us
                    whether the font contains the glyph. Modern versions of FOP use a box
                    symbol, not a question mark. What version of FOP are you using?

                    > I tried with fonts Arial(embedded), Helvetica, Times Roman,Symbol. I
                    > even tried displaying some other symbols with thier unicode, but only
                    > the code is displayed and not the symbol.

                    When the code is displayed, that indicates that the character is not
                    properly encoded in the XSL-FO document.

                    > I feel I am missing some basic information which is causing all these
                    > problems.
                    >
                    > If I embed the euro symbol or the euro symbol code in my xsl:fo,
                    > shouldn't it display the symbol. Its not doing that.

                    By "display" do you mean in your PDF? If so, then the answer is "yes", if
                    and only if, the character is encoded correctly, and the font contains the
                    glyph. I'm not sure about either.

                    > When I put € in the xsl and trying to print the euro I am
                    > getting error.
                    >
                    > Can anyone please let me know whatz wrong in the xsl or xml.
                    >
                    > So whenever I write the xml, should I encode the string to UTF8?

                    For the character entity (€) the encoding shouldn't matter. For the
                    actual Unicode character, you will need to use a valid Unicode encoding that
                    your parser understands, but there is no specific requirement for UTF-8.

                    Tell us what is in your XSL-FO file. Since you are using a transformation,
                    you will need to run the transformation separately from FOP to see the
                    XSL-FO contents. See:
                    http://xml.apache.org/fop/running.html#check-input

                    Sorry I can't be of more help.

                    Victor Mote
                  • Rodolfo M. Raya
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 30, 2003
                      On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 04:07, rvishnu76 wrote:

                      > Previously, I took the euro symbol from the java class
                      > DecimalFormatSymbols and set in my xml as a string. I also embedded
                      > Arial font as described in the faq. But still ? is displayed and not
                      > the euro symbol.

                      Make sure you embedded MS Arial Unicode (arialuni.ttf) and not the
                      standard Arial font.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Rodolfo
                    • Rodolfo M. Raya
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 30, 2003
                        On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 08:07, rvishnu76 wrote:

                        > arialuni.ttf should be a huge file and I don't want to use this file
                        > only for the euro symbol.
                        >
                        > regards,
                        > VishnuVardhan.

                        That huge file is the one that contains the euro symbol. Using the
                        standard Arial font is waisting your time.

                        Rodolfo

                      • Victor Mote
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 30, 2003
                          Rodolfo M. Raya wrote:

                          > On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 08:07, rvishnu76 wrote:
                          >
                          > > arialuni.ttf should be a huge file and I don't want to use this file
                          > > only for the euro symbol.
                          > >
                          > > regards,
                          > > VishnuVardhan.
                          >
                          > That huge file is the one that contains the euro symbol. Using the
                          > standard Arial font is waisting your time.

                          Correct. One possible workaround is to use some font editing software to
                          create a subset of the arialuni.ttf file that contains only the characters
                          that are needed. As long as you are properly licensed for the base font
                          file, this is not usually a problem. Also, since you are using FOP, please
                          see:
                          http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html#embedding
                          where it is documented that FOP automatically subsets TTF fonts when
                          embedding them.

                          Victor Mote
                        • sateesh pula
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 30, 2003
                            I need a check mark on my pdf. I am using fop 0.20.4
                            and I found the unicode for check mark heavy to be
                            2714 on www.unicode.org.
                            I tried ચ . But it didnt work. Does anyone know
                            what 'ttf' should I have in my userConfig.xml to view
                            this check mark.

                            I really appreciate if anyone can send me a working
                            code snippet.

                            Thanks,
                            sateesh

                            http://search.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                              >From: sateesh pula <duyee@...>
                              >
                              >Hi,
                              >I need a check mark on my pdf. I am using fop 0.20.4
                              >and I found the unicode for check mark heavy to be
                              >2714 on www.unicode.org.

                              set the font-family="ZapfDingbats" which is one of the standard 14 fonts, so
                              you don't need to configure any custom fonts.

                              http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger