Re: [XSL-FO] Wherefore abs()?

  • John E. Simpson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19 7:00 PM
      Dave Hartnoll wrote:

      > I can't answer your specific question about a practical application for
      > abs() because I haven't used XSL-FO yet, but I can offer this: abs() is
      > often used to find the positive difference between two numbers (or
      > sub-expressions) without having to know which is the bigger and which is the
      > smaller. For example, to get the difference between A and B you could say
      > abs(A-B) OR abs(B-A).

      Thanks for the reply, Dave. I'd taken the list's silence for assent. :)

      That's a good point, too -- about using abs() to express not the
      absolute value of a single number, but of the difference between two --
      and one I should have thought of myself. In XSL-FO terms, maybe this
      might be useful given the absolute positions and sizes of two areas, in
      determining the distance from one area to the next....

      I'll think some more on it. Thanks again.
      John E. Simpson | "When I was a little kid we had a sand
      http://www.flixml.org | box. It was a quicksand box. I was an
      XML Q&A: www.xml.com | only child... eventually." (Steven Wright)