text not found

  • s tang
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2003
      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Cannot find any instances of the text in a PDF document created from FOP, while that text string is definitely present. what did I miss?

    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2003
        s tang wrote:
        > Thanks in advance for any help.
        >
        > Cannot find any instances of the text in a PDF document created from
        > FOP, while that text string is definitely present. what did I miss?

        Without seeing the PDF data stream, it's hard to know for sure, but it's
        possible that the text has been rendered as a sequence of
        separately-positioned characters, which can throw off Acrobat's string
        matching functions. To do reliable string matching in PDF you have to do
        twisted things like evaluate the positional distance between two
        individually-placed characters and then apply some hueristic to
        determine if they should be considered part of the same word or
        not--some patterns of character placement may throw this off. Any
        renderer that does character-by-character kerning will necessarily have
        to position each character individually, making it harder to recognize
        individual words and phrases.

        It's important to remember that PDF is fundamentally a graphic--there's
        no requirement that a sequence of glyphs that will be read in a given
        order occur in the PDF source in any particular order (although they
        usually do, just because that's the easiest way to generate it).

        Cheers,

        E.
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
        Consultant, ISOGEN International

        1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
        Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
      • s tang
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2003
          Thank you for the response. Attached are FO file and its PDF file. Best Regards,

          "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@...> wrote:s tang wrote:
          > Thanks in advance for any help.
          >
          > Cannot find any instances of the text in a PDF document created from
          > FOP, while that text string is definitely present. what did I miss?

          Without seeing the PDF data stream, it's hard to know for sure, but it's
          possible that the text has been rendered as a sequence of
          separately-positioned characters, which can throw off Acrobat's string
          matching functions. To do reliable string matching in PDF you have to do
          twisted things like evaluate the positional distance between two
          individually-placed characters and then apply some hueristic to
          determine if they should be considered part of the same word or
          not--some patterns of character placement may throw this off. Any
          renderer that does character-by-character kerning will necessarily have
          to position each character individually, making it harder to recognize
          individual words and phrases.

          It's important to remember that PDF is fundamentally a graphic--there's
          no requirement that a sequence of glyphs that will be read in a given
          order occur in the PDF source in any particular order (although they
          usually do, just because that's the easiest way to generate it).

          Cheers,

          E.
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...