Re: Images in XSL-FO (was: [XSL-FO] Performance Metrics for Apache FOP Compiler needed)

  • Nikolai Grigoriev
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18 4:06 PM
      "appiah kofi" <zinky7@...> wrote:

      > can anyone tell me how to position
      > graphics or images in XEP??

      XEP does not invent anything about image position:
      we just implement what is written in the XSL specification.
      Images are inline elements: they can be positioned
      horizontally by a number of techniques:

      - using text-align attribute;
      - using appropriate margins or padding around them;
      - wrapping them into an absolutely positioned block-container;
      - etc. etc.

      All these is described in the XSL specs. Unless you provide
      more info on what you plan to do, I can hardly say which method
      might be the best for you.

      Regards,
      Nikolai Grigoriev
      RenderX
    • appiah kofi
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19 7:05 AM

        Thank you so much Mr Grigoriev for your help. What I really intend to is to find out,

        1. how to place an image /graphic at a particular position on a page

        2. I also want to find out how to place an image inbetween Texts of paragraphs.

        Thanks in advance for further help.

        A Appiah

        Do You Yahoo!?
      • Nikolai Grigoriev
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19 2:31 PM
          Dear Mr. Kofi,

          > 1. how to place an image /graphic at a particular
          > position on a page

          This requires absolutely positioned block containers:

          <fo:block-container absolute-position="fixed"
          left="X1" right="X2" top="Y1" bottom="Y2">
          <fo:block>
          <fo:external-graphic src="url('your-image')"/>
          </fo:block>
          </fo:block-container>

          > 2. I also want to find out how to place an image
          > in between Texts of paragraphs.

          Just wrap it into a block:

          <fo:block space-before="6pt"
          space-after="6pt"
          text-align="center">
          <fo:external-graphic src="url('your-image')"/>
          </fo:block>

          By specifying space-before/space-after on the fo:block,
          you control the gap from your image to the text above/below it.

          By specifying text-align on the fo:block, you control the
          horizontal alignment of the image on the page.

          Best regards,

          Nikolai Grigoriev
          RenderX
        • appiah kofi
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20 8:10 AM

            Hello,

            How can I format my pages in such a way that headers could have a varying character instead of a static charcter? So titles should autmatically

            appear in the header too. I think you call it something like "living headers".

            A good exaple is the documentation of XEP (http://www.renderx.com/Tests/doc/fo/tutorial.pdf).

            But this is a way to hard to comprehend.

            An other example is included in XEP. It�s name is "marker.pdf". But, as the first one, it�s again to much to handle.

            I am looking for a basic example ... like for an XML-file like this:

            <book>

            <title>This is the booktitle</title>

            <chapter>

            <caption>This is caption 1</caption>

            <subchapter>

            <caption>This is the caption of subchapter 1.1 </caption>

            <text>This is the text of subchapter 1.1 ... bla bla bla ... </text>

            </subchapter>

            </chapter>

            <chapter>

            <caption>This is caption 2</caption>

            <subchapter>

            <caption>This is the caption of subchapter 2.1 </caption>

            <text>This is the text of subchapter 2.1 ... bla bla bla ... </text>

            </subchapter>

            </chapter>

            </book>

            I want the caption of the chapter (not subchapter) in the header. A chapter could spread over a few pages.

            Thank you very much in advance.

            Kofi Appiah