Re: [XSL-FO] Generating vertical lists of numbers

  • W. Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 1:09 PM
      Hallman, Chuck (NIH/NIEHS) wrote:

      > Heres the input ...
      > <myTag>7 3 4 5 6</myTag>
      > <myTag>5 6 7 8 9</myTag>
      > <myTag>. etc; .</myTag>
      >
      > Heres the output ..
      > 7|5|...
      > 3|6|...
      > 4|7|..
      > 5|8|..
      > 6|9|..

      You can do this by using the XSLT processing to tokenize the numbers and
      insert newlines (or maybe just do a translate to turn the space
      characters into newlines) and set linefeed-treatment to "preserve" .

      Or you can wrap each number in a block.

      I don't think there's a reliable way to set the width of the output area
      so the numbers just wrap as you want without complaining about it,
      unless you can do a trick with writing-mode and glyph-orientation, which
      might work if your FO processor supports both top-to-bottom writing mode
      and glyph orientation.

      Cheers,

      E.
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
      Consultant, ISOGEN International

      1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
      Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
    • Hallman, Chuck (NIH/NIEHS)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 1:12 PM
        Thanks for the thoughts .. I am using FOP which doesn't support the
        writing-mode property yet .. I will give the translate a shot ..

        You can do this by using the XSLT processing to tokenize the numbers and
        insert newlines (or maybe just do a translate to turn the space
        characters into newlines) and set linefeed-treatment to "preserve" .

        Or you can wrap each number in a block.

        I don't think there's a reliable way to set the width of the output area
        so the numbers just wrap as you want without complaining about it,
        unless you can do a trick with writing-mode and glyph-orientation, which
        might work if your FO processor supports both top-to-bottom writing mode
        and glyph orientation.

        Cheers,

        E.
        --