Re: SVG scaling

  • barnninny
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Mote" <vic@o...> wrote:

      > The example you gave isn't running FOP at all. FOP uses Batik, but
      AFAIK,
      > Batik doesn't use FOP.

      If I read the documentation correctly, Batik does require FOP if you
      want to transcode to PDF.

      > (Again), I am no expert here, but I wouldn't be
      > surprised to find out that the pdf support has been added since
      Batik 1.1.

      See above. It appears to me that Batik doesn't directly support PDF
      at all.

      > would recommend upgrading your Batik, or perhaps running the
      command you
      > listed above using the same CLASSPATH that you would for running
      FOP, so
      > that the Batik jar file that comes with FOP (i.e. an upgraded
      version of
      > Batik) would get used instead of your 1.1.

      I haven't set a CLASSPATH. Perhaps that's what I need to do in
      order for Batik to find the FOP libraries.

      thanks,
      Trent
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
        Victor Mote wrote:
        > W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
        >

        >>I believe FOP uses the Batik library for SVG support but I have never
        >>tested it. XEP does not currenly integrate an SVG processor.
        >>
        >>Note that Batik also rasterizes the SVG, so it has the same quality
        >>limitations as ASV.

        > Eliot, you might be right, but the FOP web site indicates that the
        > PDF-embedded graphic retains its vector character:
        > http://xml.apache.org/fop/svg.html#Important+Notes

        I downloaded Batik 1.5 and tried the PDF "rasterizer", which does in
        fact generate vector PDF and not a rasterized image. Cool.

        The Batik/FOP documentation still lists some limitations, in particular
        that any images or patterns embedded in the SVG will be rendered at
        72dpi, which may affect their quality in the final PDF rendering, and
        PDF does not support transparency.

        This is very cool.

        Cheers,

        E.
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
        Consultant, ISOGEN International

        1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
        Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
      • W. Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
          W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

          > I downloaded Batik 1.5 and tried the PDF "rasterizer", which does in
          > fact generate vector PDF and not a rasterized image. Cool.

          I think I was confused in part by the use of the Rasterizer framework
          for something that is not rasterization but transcoding. That is, a PDF
          file is fundamentally a sequence of drawing commands and is roughly
          semantically equivalent to SVG, such that generating PDF from SVG is an
          act of transcoding, not rasterization. But I guess that's a pedantic
          quibble.

          Cheers,

          E.