RE: [XSL-FO] Re: SVG scaling

  • Victor Mote
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31 4:29 PM
      Trent/barnninny wrote:

      > I'm trying to use Batik/FOP now to just transcode my SVG to PDF, but
      > I'm running into problems getting it to work. I've installed Batik
      > 1.1.1 and FOP 0.20.4. But when I issue this command:
      >
      > "java -jar batik-rasterizer.jar -m application/pdf
      > \svg_files\test.svg"
      >

      > I get the following error:
      >
      > "Error while converting files:
      > Error: cannot access transcoder for image of type application/pdf"
      >

      > Is this a version-mismatch problem between Batik and FOP? The
      > documentation for FOP 0.20.4 indicates it was updated to work with
      > Batik 1.5beta2, but that version is not available for download, so
      > far as I can tell.
      >
      > Or is this just an installation problem? Based on the installation
      > process, I don't see how Batik would know FOP was even installed,
      > much less where to find its SVG-related libraries.

      The example you gave isn't running FOP at all. FOP uses Batik, but AFAIK,
      Batik doesn't use FOP. (Again), I am no expert here, but I wouldn't be
      surprised to find out that the pdf support has been added since Batik 1.1. I
      would recommend upgrading your Batik, or perhaps running the command you
      listed above using the same CLASSPATH that you would for running FOP, so
      that the Batik jar file that comes with FOP (i.e. an upgraded version of
      Batik) would get used instead of your 1.1. If that doesn't help, you
      probably want to try the Batik lists.

      Victor Mote
    • barnninny
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Mote" <vic@o...> wrote:

        > The example you gave isn't running FOP at all. FOP uses Batik, but
        AFAIK,
        > Batik doesn't use FOP.

        If I read the documentation correctly, Batik does require FOP if you
        want to transcode to PDF.

        > (Again), I am no expert here, but I wouldn't be
        > surprised to find out that the pdf support has been added since
        Batik 1.1.

        See above. It appears to me that Batik doesn't directly support PDF
        at all.

        > would recommend upgrading your Batik, or perhaps running the
        command you
        > listed above using the same CLASSPATH that you would for running
        FOP, so
        > that the Batik jar file that comes with FOP (i.e. an upgraded
        version of
        > Batik) would get used instead of your 1.1.

        I haven't set a CLASSPATH. Perhaps that's what I need to do in
        order for Batik to find the FOP libraries.

        thanks,
        Trent
      • W. Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
          Victor Mote wrote:
          > W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
          >

          >>I believe FOP uses the Batik library for SVG support but I have never
          >>tested it. XEP does not currenly integrate an SVG processor.
          >>
          >>Note that Batik also rasterizes the SVG, so it has the same quality
          >>limitations as ASV.

          > Eliot, you might be right, but the FOP web site indicates that the
          > PDF-embedded graphic retains its vector character:
          > http://xml.apache.org/fop/svg.html#Important+Notes

          I downloaded Batik 1.5 and tried the PDF "rasterizer", which does in
          fact generate vector PDF and not a rasterized image. Cool.

          The Batik/FOP documentation still lists some limitations, in particular
          that any images or patterns embedded in the SVG will be rendered at
          72dpi, which may affect their quality in the final PDF rendering, and
          PDF does not support transparency.

          This is very cool.

          Cheers,

          E.
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
          Consultant, ISOGEN International

          1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
          Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
            W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

            > I downloaded Batik 1.5 and tried the PDF "rasterizer", which does in
            > fact generate vector PDF and not a rasterized image. Cool.

            I think I was confused in part by the use of the Rasterizer framework
            for something that is not rasterization but transcoding. That is, a PDF
            file is fundamentally a sequence of drawing commands and is roughly
            semantically equivalent to SVG, such that generating PDF from SVG is an
            act of transcoding, not rasterization. But I guess that's a pedantic
            quibble.

            Cheers,

            E.