fo:float (Xep 2.21/eval version)

  • John E. Simpson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2001
      I know that Xep 2.21 supports only "before" floats. However, I have not
      been able to get even them to work. As an example, here's an XSL-FO
      document whose one flow in the one page-sequence is a nearly verbatim copy
      of the example provided with the Xep documentation:

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <!-- Simple page layout -->
      <fo:layout-master-set>
      <fo:simple-page-master
      master-name="page-review"
      page-width="200pt"
      page-height="200pt"
      margin="10pt">
      <fo:region-body region-name="reg-body"/>
      </fo:simple-page-master>
      <fo:page-sequence-master
      master-name="seq-mast-cover">
      <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference
      master-name="page-review"/>
      </fo:page-sequence-master>
      </fo:layout-master-set>
      <!-- Page contents poured into above layout -->
      <fo:page-sequence
      master-name="seq-mast-cover">
      <fo:flow
      flow-name="reg-body"
      font-family="Helvetica"
      font-size="5pt">

      <!-- Begin modified RenderX example -->
      <fo:block>
      This text includes a floating picture.
      <fo:float float="before">
      <fo:block text-align="center"
      border="1pt solid gray"
      font="bold italic 9pt Helvetica">
      <fo:block>
      some floating text
      </fo:block>
      <fo:block>
      Fig. 1: A Smiling Face
      </fo:block>
      </fo:block>
      </fo:float>
      The text continues after the float.
      </fo:block>
      <!-- End modified RenderX example -->

      </fo:flow>
      </fo:page-sequence>
      </fo:root>

      (Within the fo:flow, the only change that I've made here to the RenderX
      example is to replace an external graphic with the words "some floating text.")

      The result of this is that I get the words "This text includes a floating
      picture. The text continues after the float." at the top left of the PDF
      page, but "some floating text" (or any other evidence of the float) appears
      nowhere at all. I'm probably missing something subtle, right? (I've been
      staring at this and fiddling with bits and pieces of it for nearly two
      hours now, so I wouldn't be surprised! Started out trying to create the
      "before float" using my own reading of the spec, and when that didn't work
      backed all the way up to copying-and-pasting the Xep example.)

      Or is this "just" a documentation bug?

      Thanks for any insights,
      J.

      John E. Simpson | "I had a friend who was a clown. When
      http://www.flixml.org | he died, all his friends went to the
      XML Q&A: www.xml.com | funeral in one car." --Steven Wright
    • David Tolpin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2001
        There is a bug in the current evaluation version of XEP
        that causes a float placed on the last page to disappear.
        The bug is fixed in the internally available version and
        the next public release will not have this problem.

        An update will also be delivered within few days to
        all our commercial customers licensed XEP 2.*.

        Sincerely,
        David Tolpin
        RenderX

      • John E. Simpson

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2001
            Thanks, David!

            At 09:39 PM 04/10/2001 +0400, David Tolpin wrote:
            >There is a bug in the current evaluation version of XEP
            >that causes a float placed on the last page to disappear.
            >The bug is fixed in the internally available version and
            >the next public release will not have this problem.
            >
            >An update will also be delivered within few days to
            >all our commercial customers licensed XEP 2.*.
            >
            >Sincerely,
            >David Tolpin
            >RenderX

            [snip]