RE: [XSL-FO] How to get fixed height for a fo:block or fo:table-cell?

  • bryan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
      From: wzhou@... [mailto:wzhou@...]
      Sent: 4. april 2001 21:31
      To: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [XSL-FO] How to get fixed height for a fo:block or
      fo:table-cell?

      I want to create a form so that no matter the data is one line or ten
      lines, the block occupies, say 2in in height.

      I tried <fo:block height="2in"> and it doesn't seem to work
      for FOP 0.17.

      Any help is appreciated.

      Wufeng

    • costempd@us.ibm.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22 12:19 PM

        I've just started learning XSL-FO. I'm using FOP 0.18.1-DEV. Looking
        through the archives, I found Ken's <block-container> sample below.
        I tried it (adding the "fo:" prefix to the elements) but for some
        reason I get about a 2 inch gap between the box and the following
        block. Does anyone know why? Is this a known problem with FOP?

        It looks like it might be related to another problem i'm having in
        which the region-after extent seems to be mis-calculated when a table
        is present, causing a page break sooner than it should. When I remove
        the table and just have a sequence of plain text blocks, it works
        correctly.

        Thanks.

        Nick Ridout

      • costempd@us.ibm.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23 8:37 AM
          Now I can answer my own question, at least in part. The FOP
          "features" page says:

          Not implemented: block-container

          Surprisingly there were no error or warning messages, and it did
          generate a box.

          I'm still having problems with the region-body area ending
          pre-maturely when tables are in the "flow".

          -nick

          --- In XSL-FO@y..., costempd@u... wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've just started learning XSL-FO. I'm using FOP 0.18.1-DEV.
          Looking
          > through the archives, I found Ken's <block-container> sample below.
          > I tried it (adding the "fo:" prefix to the elements) but for some
          > reason I get about a 2 inch gap between the box and the following
          > block. Does anyone know why? Is this a known problem with FOP?
          >
          > It looks like it might be related to another problem i'm having in
          > which the region-after extent seems to be mis-calculated when a
          table
          > is present, causing a page break sooner than it should. When I
          remove
          > the table and just have a sequence of plain text blocks, it works
          > correctly.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Nick Ridout
          >
          > --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
          > > At 01/04/04 19:30 +0000, wzhou@n... wrote:
          > > >I want to create a form so that no matter the data is one line or
          > ten
          > > >lines, the block occupies, say 2in in height.
          > > >
          > > >I tried <fo:block height="2in"> and it doesn't seem to work
          > > >for FOP 0.17.
          > >
          > > That's because height= isn't an attibute of <block>. It is an
          > attribute of
          > > <block-container>, which itself contains blocks.
          > >
          > > I hope the example below helps.
          > >
          > > ................ Ken
          > >
          > > <flow flow-name="frame-body">
          > >
          > > <block>This is a test</block>
          > >
          > > <block-container border-style="solid" height="2in"
          max-height="2in"
          > > width="3in" overflow="hidden"
          start-indent="1in">

        • costempd@us.ibm.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23 9:05 AM
            Hmmm... just found usage of block-container in one of the example
            files: examples\pagination\allregions.fo
            so I guess it's implemented after all.
            -nick