Re: [XSL-FO] How to get fixed height for a fo:block or fo:table-cell?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2001
      At 01/04/04 19:30 +0000, wzhou@... wrote:
      >I want to create a form so that no matter the data is one line or ten
      >lines, the block occupies, say 2in in height.
      >
      >I tried <fo:block height="2in"> and it doesn't seem to work
      >for FOP 0.17.

      That's because height= isn't an attibute of <block>. It is an attribute of
      <block-container>, which itself contains blocks.

      I hope the example below helps.

      ................ Ken

      <flow flow-name="frame-body">

      <block>This is a test</block>

      <block-container border-style="solid" height="2in" max-height="2in"
      width="3in" overflow="hidden" start-indent="1in">
      <block>This is a test 1</block>

      <block>This is a test 2</block>

      <block>This is a test 3</block>

      <block>This is a test 4</block>

      <block>This is a test 5</block>

      <block>This is a test 6</block>

      <block>This is a test 7</block>

      <block>This is a test 8</block>

      <block>This is a test 9</block>

      </block-container>

      <block>This is a test</block>

      </flow>

      Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
      Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
      Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
      Next public instructor-led training: 2001-04-06,05-01,05-14,05-15,
      - 05-16,05-17,05-21,05-22,06-18,06-21,07-20,07-21,09-19

      !!Five-day XSLT/XPath/XSLFO Training Blitz June 18-22, 2001 in Ottawa!!
    • bryan
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2001
        I want to create a form so that no matter the data is one line or ten
        lines, the block occupies, say 2in in height.

        I tried <fo:block height="2in"> and it doesn't seem to work
        for FOP 0.17.

        Any help is appreciated.

        Wufeng

      • costempd@us.ibm.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 22 12:19 PM

          I've just started learning XSL-FO. I'm using FOP 0.18.1-DEV. Looking
          through the archives, I found Ken's <block-container> sample below.
          I tried it (adding the "fo:" prefix to the elements) but for some
          reason I get about a 2 inch gap between the box and the following
          block. Does anyone know why? Is this a known problem with FOP?

          It looks like it might be related to another problem i'm having in
          which the region-after extent seems to be mis-calculated when a table
          is present, causing a page break sooner than it should. When I remove
          the table and just have a sequence of plain text blocks, it works
          correctly.

          Thanks.

          Nick Ridout

        • costempd@us.ibm.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23 8:37 AM
            Now I can answer my own question, at least in part. The FOP
            "features" page says:

            Not implemented: block-container

            Surprisingly there were no error or warning messages, and it did
            generate a box.

            I'm still having problems with the region-body area ending
            pre-maturely when tables are in the "flow".

            -nick

            --- In XSL-FO@y..., costempd@u... wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I've just started learning XSL-FO. I'm using FOP 0.18.1-DEV.
            Looking
            > through the archives, I found Ken's <block-container> sample below.
            > I tried it (adding the "fo:" prefix to the elements) but for some
            > reason I get about a 2 inch gap between the box and the following
            > block. Does anyone know why? Is this a known problem with FOP?
            >
            > It looks like it might be related to another problem i'm having in
            > which the region-after extent seems to be mis-calculated when a
            table
            > is present, causing a page break sooner than it should. When I
            remove
            > the table and just have a sequence of plain text blocks, it works
            > correctly.
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Nick Ridout
            >
            > --- In XSL-FO@y..., "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@c...> wrote:
            > > At 01/04/04 19:30 +0000, wzhou@n... wrote:
            > > >I want to create a form so that no matter the data is one line or
            > ten
            > > >lines, the block occupies, say 2in in height.
            > > >
            > > >I tried <fo:block height="2in"> and it doesn't seem to work
            > > >for FOP 0.17.
            > >
            > > That's because height= isn't an attibute of <block>. It is an
            > attribute of
            > > <block-container>, which itself contains blocks.
            > >
            > > I hope the example below helps.
            > >
            > > ................ Ken
            > >
            > > <flow flow-name="frame-body">
            > >
            > > <block>This is a test</block>
            > >
            > > <block-container border-style="solid" height="2in"
            max-height="2in"
            > > width="3in" overflow="hidden"
            start-indent="1in">

          • costempd@us.ibm.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 23 9:05 AM
              Hmmm... just found usage of block-container in one of the example
              files: examples\pagination\allregions.fo
              so I guess it's implemented after all.
              -nick