Re: [XSL-FO] Single XSL for both pdf and html

  • Jim White
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
      Chitra Muthukrishnan wrote:
      > Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
      > html.

      I do that by running an XSL to generate (X)HTML and then run a
      XHTML-to-FO XSL. The xhtml2fo.xsl that I use is a heavily customized
      version of the sample from Antenna House:

      http://www.antennahouse.com/XSLsample/XSLsample.htm

      There is also this:

      http://html2fo.sourceforge.net/

      What I would really like to have is a full HTML 4 + CSS2 to XSL-FO
      conversion. Then there would only need to be a few extensions to handle
      FO-specific stuff that isn't already in CSS.

      Jim
    • Ian Tindale
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
        On Thursday 06 March 2003 12:04 pm, Chitra Muthukrishnan wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
        > html.

        An analogy of what you're asking would perhaps be to ask:

        "I have two white doors that need painting, one needs to be green and the
        other red. Is it possible to buy one single can of paint for me to use?"

        --
        Ian Tindale
      • Klaas_Bals@inventivedesigners.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
          >> Hi All,
          >>
          >> Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
          >> html.
          >
          >An analogy of what you're asking would perhaps be to ask:
          >
          >"I have two white doors that need painting, one needs to be green and the
          >other red. Is it possible to buy one single can of paint for me to use?"

          I'm sorry. I don't agree that this is a trivial question. I would be
          possible to generate XHTML from an XSL-FO document. If they can create text
          and rtf, XHTML is also possible!

          -----
          Klaas Bals - Scriptura Development Manager

          Scriptura - a WYSIWYG XSL-FO editor: www.inventivedesigners.com/scriptura

          Inventive Designers
          Direct Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210183
          Office Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
          Office Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
          Email: Klaas_Bals at inventivedesigners dot com
        • Rob Stote
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
            I agree Klass:
            this is a valid question, anybody that would answer this way is not being
            very polite, and trust me I am being polite now

            Rob

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
              At 2003-03-06 11:26 -0800, Jim White wrote:
              >Chitra Muthukrishnan wrote:
              > > Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
              > > html.
              >
              >I do that by running an XSL to generate (X)HTML and then run a
              >XHTML-to-FO XSL. The xhtml2fo.xsl that I use is a heavily customized
              >version of the sample from Antenna House:

              In my stylesheet library for OASIS UBL documents I go the other way: I
              generate XSL-FO as my "master" and then use the fo2html.xsl stylesheet from
              RenderX to make the HTML rendition of the XSL-FO instance generated from
              the UBL XML.

              The running stylesheets are available to be downloaded under the modified
              BSD license from the free resource area of our web site.

              I hope this helps.

              .................. Ken

              --
              Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
              North America: June 16-20, 2003

              ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
              ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
            • Kurt Cagle
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
                Actually I agree with the last -- there's no reason why you couldn't write an
                XSLT that generates to XSL-FO or XHTML depending upon a modal switch,
                something along the lines of:

                <xsl:param name="target" select="'XSL-FO'"/>

                <xsl:template match="/">
                <xsl:choose>
                <xsl:when test="target='XSL-FO' ">
                <xsl:apply-templates select="*" mode="xslfo"/>
                </xsl:when>
                <xsl:otherwise>
                <xsl:apply-templates select="*" mode="xhtml"/>
                </xsl:otherwise>
                </xsl:choose>
                </xsl:template>

                This makes more sense in XSLT2, where you might be generating a result
                document as a secondary stream, but there are ample precedents for doing
                this.

                -- Kurt

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
                  On Thursday 06 March 2003 10:12 pm, Rob Stote wrote:
                  > I agree Klass:
                  > this is a valid question, anybody that would answer this way is not being
                  > very polite, and trust me I am being polite now

                  That's a erroneous generalisation - I was being polite. I'm not now, though.
                  Now I am. Now I'm not. Now I've lost count.

                  The thing is, if your output across XHTML and PDF were extremely similar in
                  layout, then academically, you could narrow down the branching point to more
                  or less within the XSLT. In most cases, though, you'd be advised to take
                  advantage of designing for the media, even down to simple but major things
                  such as colour choice, page size assumption, and media content. Typically, in
                  a scenario such as, for example, Cocoon, you'd find that the branch is quite
                  distinct and once content negotiation has had its say, the XSLT chosen is
                  quite discrete from any of the other media choices available.

                  To return to the analogy, if one were to concoct a tin of paint that is both
                  green and red, one would inevitably find that it is not really either green
                  or red enough to be either - more of a compromise from the beginning.
                  --
                  Ian Tindale
                • Christian Duschl
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
                    I'm not sure if I understand your question (I'm sure that its possible to generate html and pdf or anything else with the same stylesheet .. does it make sense ?), but if you just want to prduce html from fo- codebase, you might have a look at www.x-form.de.
                    This product generates html,rtf,pdf... from fo (based on fop with addititonal renderers).
                    You've to speak german to read the pages (english version will soon be available).
                    On Thursday 06 March 2003 10:12 pm, Rob Stote wrote:
                    > I agree Klass:
                    > this is a valid question, anybody that would answer this way is not being
                    > very polite, and trust me I am being polite now

                    That's a erroneous generalisation - I was being polite. I'm not now, though.
                    Now I am. Now I'm not. Now I've lost count.

                    The thing is, if your output across XHTML and PDF were extremely similar in
                    layout, then academically, you could narrow down the branching point to more
                    or less within the XSLT. In most cases, though, you'd be advised to take
                    advantage of designing for the media, even down to simple but major things
                    such as colour choice, page size assumption, and media content. Typically, in
                    a scenario such as, for example, Cocoon, you'd find that the branch is quite
                    distinct and once content negotiation has had its say, the XSLT chosen is
                    quite discrete from any of the other media choices available.

                    To return to the analogy, if one were to concoct a tin of paint that is both
                    green and red, one would inevitably find that it is not really either green
                    or red enough to be either - more of a compromise from the beginning.
                    --
                    Ian Tindale

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Ian Tindale
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 7, 2003
                      On Friday 07 March 2003 7:42 am, Christian Duschl wrote:
                      > I'm not sure if I understand your question (I'm sure that its possible to
                      > generate html and pdf or anything else with the same stylesheet .. does it
                      > make sense ?),

                      No it wasn't so much that, it was a query by the original poster that asked if
                      it were possible to write a single XSL stylesheet which produces output in
                      both PDF and HTML.

                      I would say no, as a matter of style. Of course, you could have a single XSL
                      that outputs both a PDF and HTML output simultaneously - just bolt the guts
                      of a PDF XSLT onto the guts of an HTML transformation and whenever the
                      transformation is run, you get two discrete output products. However, that's
                      basically the same as running first one (a PDF transformation), then the
                      other (the HTML tranformation) as a simple chained operation of two discrete
                      transformations.

                      If what you want is a single transformation that simply piles output into a
                      PDF and an HTML document pretty much in the same sweep, you'll lose the
                      flexibility of the individual media, and neither the PDF nor the HTML will
                      have been done justice. If it transpires that each request for PDF is always
                      accompanied by an identical HTML request, I suppose you'd want a single XSLT
                      to do the same job. I'd still, however, push towards triggering the two
                      processes as separate transformations, just finding a way of triggering a
                      pair of requests in one action - and this might as well be outside the XSLT
                      domain.

                      --
                      Ian Tindale
                    • Rob Stote
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 7, 2003
                        agreed:

                        In the end you really need 2 style-sheets. And really should use 2
                        style-sheets.

                        Rob

                        ps Ian sry, for the generalization, the moment I hit send I was like s%*^t
                        not smart