Single XSL for both pdf and html

  • Chitra Muthukrishnan
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6 4:04 AM
      Hi All,

      Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
      html.

      Thanks in advance
      Chitra

      DISCLAIMER: Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is
      proprietary to Mascot Systems Limited and is intended for use only by the
      individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information
      that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
      law. If this is a forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have
      been sent with the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended
      recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a person responsible for
      delivering the information to the named recipient, you are notified that any
      use, distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this
      information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you have
      received this communication in error, please delete this mail & notify us
      immediately at Mailadmin@... Before opening attachments,
      please scan for viruses.
    • Victor Mote
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6 11:11 AM
        Chitra Muthukrishnan wrote:

        > Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
        > html.

        If you are using XSL-FO to get to PDF, I don't think so. XSL-FO and HTML
        have very different tags. The beauty of XML with stylesheets is that one
        code base (your semantic XML file) can be used to generate multiple outputs.
        The tradeoff is that you do need to have multiple stylesheets to accomplish
        this.

        Victor Mote
      • Rob Stote
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6 11:24 AM
          Sry dude, there is no real way to do that.
          the reality is that HTML, requires one "type" of style sheet where as output
          produced via XSL-FO can be derived from the same XSL-FO style sheet.
          XSL-FO is a way of defining paginated display. HTML is not paginated.

          you have to create 2 style-sheet to obtain these two outputs.
          If you wanted TIFF, and PDF, you could use 1 style sheet.

          Rob

          > Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
          > html.

          If you are using XSL-FO to get to PDF, I don't think so. XSL-FO and HTML
          have very different tags. The beauty of XML with stylesheets is that one
          code base (your semantic XML file) can be used to generate multiple outputs.
          The tradeoff is that you do need to have multiple stylesheets to accomplish
          this.

          Victor Mote

        • Jim White
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6 11:26 AM
            Chitra Muthukrishnan wrote:
            > Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
            > html.

            I do that by running an XSL to generate (X)HTML and then run a
            XHTML-to-FO XSL. The xhtml2fo.xsl that I use is a heavily customized
            version of the sample from Antenna House:

            http://www.antennahouse.com/XSLsample/XSLsample.htm

            There is also this:

            http://html2fo.sourceforge.net/

            What I would really like to have is a full HTML 4 + CSS2 to XSL-FO
            conversion. Then there would only need to be a few extensions to handle
            FO-specific stuff that isn't already in CSS.

            Jim
          • Ian Tindale
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6 11:36 AM
              On Thursday 06 March 2003 12:04 pm, Chitra Muthukrishnan wrote:
              > Hi All,
              >
              > Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
              > html.

              An analogy of what you're asking would perhaps be to ask:

              "I have two white doors that need painting, one needs to be green and the
              other red. Is it possible to buy one single can of paint for me to use?"

              --
              Ian Tindale
            • Klaas_Bals@inventivedesigners.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6 1:26 PM
                >> Hi All,
                >>
                >> Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
                >> html.
                >
                >An analogy of what you're asking would perhaps be to ask:
                >
                >"I have two white doors that need painting, one needs to be green and the
                >other red. Is it possible to buy one single can of paint for me to use?"

                I'm sorry. I don't agree that this is a trivial question. I would be
                possible to generate XHTML from an XSL-FO document. If they can create text
                and rtf, XHTML is also possible!

                -----
                Klaas Bals - Scriptura Development Manager

                Scriptura - a WYSIWYG XSL-FO editor: www.inventivedesigners.com/scriptura

                Inventive Designers
                Direct Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210183
                Office Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
                Office Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
                Email: Klaas_Bals at inventivedesigners dot com
              • Rob Stote
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6 2:12 PM
                  I agree Klass:
                  this is a valid question, anybody that would answer this way is not being
                  very polite, and trust me I am being polite now

                  Rob

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6 2:54 PM
                    At 2003-03-06 11:26 -0800, Jim White wrote:
                    >Chitra Muthukrishnan wrote:
                    > > Is it possible to write single xsl which produces output in both pdf and
                    > > html.
                    >
                    >I do that by running an XSL to generate (X)HTML and then run a
                    >XHTML-to-FO XSL. The xhtml2fo.xsl that I use is a heavily customized
                    >version of the sample from Antenna House:

                    In my stylesheet library for OASIS UBL documents I go the other way: I
                    generate XSL-FO as my "master" and then use the fo2html.xsl stylesheet from
                    RenderX to make the HTML rendition of the XSL-FO instance generated from
                    the UBL XML.

                    The running stylesheets are available to be downloaded under the modified
                    BSD license from the free resource area of our web site.

                    I hope this helps.

                    .................. Ken

                    --
                    Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
                    North America: June 16-20, 2003

                    ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
                    ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
                  • Kurt Cagle
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6 3:02 PM
                      Actually I agree with the last -- there's no reason why you couldn't write an
                      XSLT that generates to XSL-FO or XHTML depending upon a modal switch,
                      something along the lines of:

                      <xsl:param name="target" select="'XSL-FO'"/>

                      <xsl:template match="/">
                      <xsl:choose>
                      <xsl:when test="target='XSL-FO' ">
                      <xsl:apply-templates select="*" mode="xslfo"/>
                      </xsl:when>
                      <xsl:otherwise>
                      <xsl:apply-templates select="*" mode="xhtml"/>
                      </xsl:otherwise>
                      </xsl:choose>
                      </xsl:template>

                      This makes more sense in XSLT2, where you might be generating a result
                      document as a secondary stream, but there are ample precedents for doing
                      this.

                      -- Kurt

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6 4:07 PM
                        On Thursday 06 March 2003 10:12 pm, Rob Stote wrote:
                        > I agree Klass:
                        > this is a valid question, anybody that would answer this way is not being
                        > very polite, and trust me I am being polite now

                        That's a erroneous generalisation - I was being polite. I'm not now, though.
                        Now I am. Now I'm not. Now I've lost count.

                        The thing is, if your output across XHTML and PDF were extremely similar in
                        layout, then academically, you could narrow down the branching point to more
                        or less within the XSLT. In most cases, though, you'd be advised to take
                        advantage of designing for the media, even down to simple but major things
                        such as colour choice, page size assumption, and media content. Typically, in
                        a scenario such as, for example, Cocoon, you'd find that the branch is quite
                        distinct and once content negotiation has had its say, the XSLT chosen is
                        quite discrete from any of the other media choices available.

                        To return to the analogy, if one were to concoct a tin of paint that is both
                        green and red, one would inevitably find that it is not really either green
                        or red enough to be either - more of a compromise from the beginning.
                        --
                        Ian Tindale
                      • Christian Duschl
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 6 11:42 PM
                          I'm not sure if I understand your question (I'm sure that its possible to generate html and pdf or anything else with the same stylesheet .. does it make sense ?), but if you just want to prduce html from fo- codebase, you might have a look at www.x-form.de.
                          This product generates html,rtf,pdf... from fo (based on fop with addititonal renderers).
                          You've to speak german to read the pages (english version will soon be available).
                          On Thursday 06 March 2003 10:12 pm, Rob Stote wrote:
                          > I agree Klass:
                          > this is a valid question, anybody that would answer this way is not being
                          > very polite, and trust me I am being polite now

                          That's a erroneous generalisation - I was being polite. I'm not now, though.
                          Now I am. Now I'm not. Now I've lost count.

                          The thing is, if your output across XHTML and PDF were extremely similar in
                          layout, then academically, you could narrow down the branching point to more
                          or less within the XSLT. In most cases, though, you'd be advised to take
                          advantage of designing for the media, even down to simple but major things
                          such as colour choice, page size assumption, and media content. Typically, in
                          a scenario such as, for example, Cocoon, you'd find that the branch is quite
                          distinct and once content negotiation has had its say, the XSLT chosen is
                          quite discrete from any of the other media choices available.

                          To return to the analogy, if one were to concoct a tin of paint that is both
                          green and red, one would inevitably find that it is not really either green
                          or red enough to be either - more of a compromise from the beginning.
                          --
                          Ian Tindale

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Ian Tindale
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 7 12:46 AM
                            On Friday 07 March 2003 7:42 am, Christian Duschl wrote:
                            > I'm not sure if I understand your question (I'm sure that its possible to
                            > generate html and pdf or anything else with the same stylesheet .. does it
                            > make sense ?),

                            No it wasn't so much that, it was a query by the original poster that asked if
                            it were possible to write a single XSL stylesheet which produces output in
                            both PDF and HTML.

                            I would say no, as a matter of style. Of course, you could have a single XSL
                            that outputs both a PDF and HTML output simultaneously - just bolt the guts
                            of a PDF XSLT onto the guts of an HTML transformation and whenever the
                            transformation is run, you get two discrete output products. However, that's
                            basically the same as running first one (a PDF transformation), then the
                            other (the HTML tranformation) as a simple chained operation of two discrete
                            transformations.

                            If what you want is a single transformation that simply piles output into a
                            PDF and an HTML document pretty much in the same sweep, you'll lose the
                            flexibility of the individual media, and neither the PDF nor the HTML will
                            have been done justice. If it transpires that each request for PDF is always
                            accompanied by an identical HTML request, I suppose you'd want a single XSLT
                            to do the same job. I'd still, however, push towards triggering the two
                            processes as separate transformations, just finding a way of triggering a
                            pair of requests in one action - and this might as well be outside the XSLT
                            domain.

                            --
                            Ian Tindale
                          • Rob Stote
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 7 5:37 AM
                              agreed:

                              In the end you really need 2 style-sheets. And really should use 2
                              style-sheets.

                              Rob

                              ps Ian sry, for the generalization, the moment I hit send I was like s%*^t
                              not smart