Re: [XSL-FO] Embedded footnotes

  • W. Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2003
      pmdgexinc wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have a document that has footnotes within its footnotes. If I'm
      > reading the XSL:FO spec correctly, this isn't allowed in XSL:FO (an
      > xsl:footnote cannot have an xsl:footnote child). Anyone run into this
      > before? Any ideas on ways around it? I was thinking that I might try
      > to use markers, but I'm not sure that I won't run into the same
      > limitation.

      If you wanted the embedded footnotes to be rendered in the footnote area
      you would have to emit their fo:footnote in the main flow--you could not
      emit them within the fo:footnote for the outer footnote. You could, of
      course, still create a callout in the outer footnote, but just using a
      normal fo:inline. The order the fo:footnote elements occur in the flow
      would determine the order they are rendered in the footnote area, e.g.:

      <fo:flow>
      <fo:block>
      Stuff<fo:footnote><fo:inline>[1]</fo:inline><fo:block>Footnote
      1[2]</fo:block></fo:footnote><fo:footnote><fo:inline/><fo:block>Footnote
      2 ("inner" footnote)</fo:block></fo:footnote></fo:block>
      </fo:flow>

      Cheers,

      Eliot

      --