Embedded footnotes

  • pmdgexinc
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2003

      I have a document that has footnotes within its footnotes. If I'm
      reading the XSL:FO spec correctly, this isn't allowed in XSL:FO (an
      xsl:footnote cannot have an xsl:footnote child). Anyone run into this
      before? Any ideas on ways around it? I was thinking that I might try
      to use markers, but I'm not sure that I won't run into the same
      limitation.

      Thanks,
      Peter
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2003
        pmdgexinc wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a document that has footnotes within its footnotes. If I'm
        > reading the XSL:FO spec correctly, this isn't allowed in XSL:FO (an
        > xsl:footnote cannot have an xsl:footnote child). Anyone run into this
        > before? Any ideas on ways around it? I was thinking that I might try
        > to use markers, but I'm not sure that I won't run into the same
        > limitation.

        If you wanted the embedded footnotes to be rendered in the footnote area
        you would have to emit their fo:footnote in the main flow--you could not
        emit them within the fo:footnote for the outer footnote. You could, of
        course, still create a callout in the outer footnote, but just using a
        normal fo:inline. The order the fo:footnote elements occur in the flow
        would determine the order they are rendered in the footnote area, e.g.:

        <fo:flow>
        <fo:block>
        Stuff<fo:footnote><fo:inline>[1]</fo:inline><fo:block>Footnote
        1[2]</fo:block></fo:footnote><fo:footnote><fo:inline/><fo:block>Footnote
        2 ("inner" footnote)</fo:block></fo:footnote></fo:block>
        </fo:flow>

        Cheers,

        Eliot

        --