coloured rectangles

  • kennethy1 <kennethy1@yahoo.com.au>
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hello all! I would like to absolutely-position coloured rectangles
      anywhere over the body region, then write over the top of them with
      the dynamic (text) flow. Without using external graphics, how might
      I do this? I've tried using leaders with a set height/width, but they
      are rendered on top of my dynamic text.

      I'm using XEP 3.2.1.

      Thanx!
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
        kennethy1 wrote:
        > Hello all! I would like to absolutely-position coloured rectangles
        > anywhere over the body region, then write over the top of them with
        > the dynamic (text) flow. Without using external graphics, how might
        > I do this? I've tried using leaders with a set height/width, but they
        > are rendered on top of my dynamic text.

        It's not completely clear what effect you're trying to get, but the
        easiest thing is probably to set the extent of one of the edge regions
        to be coincident with the region body--anything you put in this region
        using static-content will be rendered under the region-body.

        To get rectangles of a specified size use block-container with explicit
        block-progression-dimension and inline-progression-dimension settings, e.g.:

        <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
        <!-- 1 inch blue box -->
        <fo:block-container
        block-progression-dimension="1in"
        inline-progression-dimension="1in"
        background-color="blue"
        absolute-position="absolute"
        left="2in"
        top="2in">
        <fo:block> </fo:block>
        </fo:block>
        </fo:flow>

        Note that the block with a non-break space is not strictly required.

        Block containers with absolute positioning are positioned relative to
        their containing reference area (the body region in this example). Block
        containers establish new reference areas, so you can use nested block
        containers to easily do overlays, such as text on top of graphics or one
        graphic on top of another (such as an SVG defining callouts and labels
        on top of a bitmap or some such).

        Blocks drawn earlier in the area tree should go *under* later blocks.

        Note that unless you are explictly setting page breaks, there will be no
        way to predict reliably what page a given block-container will appear on
        (unless you put them in the static content, in which case they'll appear
        on each page the static content applies to).

        You can also use inline-container to create arbitrarily sized blocks
        that are inline in a flow of text.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
        Consultant, ISOGEN International

        1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
        Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
      • kennethy1 <kennethy1@yahoo.com.au>
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          Thanx heaps Eliot! That's a very creative approach... never thought
          of it. And thanx for the amount of detail you place in your replies.

          Cheers,
          Kenneth