UCC.EAN XML schema to FO

  • Eric Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2 11:08 AM
      Has anyone worked on converting the UCC.EAN xml schema
      or ebXML schema to format object? Alternatively does
      anyone have an interest in becoming involved in a
      project to create a "standard" XSLT library for this
      purpose?

      --
      Eric Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2 1:31 PM
        (This is a repeated post of my two answers to Eric on the Mulberry list, as
        I think they might be of interest to members of this list; I encourage any
        OASIS members interested in participating to contact me)

        At 2003-03-02 20:12 +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
        >Has anyone worked on converting the UCC.EAN xml schema
        >or ebXML schema to format object?

        I'm assuming here you mean XSLT stylesheets to take ebXML instances to HTML
        for the web and XSL-FO for print. Yes, Crane Softwrights has publicly
        released a fledgling XSLT library for HTML and XSL-FO for the seven UBL
        document types (follow the "Resource Library" link from our home page
        linked in my trailer) under the modified BSD license so it can be freely
        used by only maintaining the original copyright.

        The "schemas for ebXML" ... which are the payload e-commerce messages that
        are sent back and forth across ebXML ... are the purview of the UBL committee:

        http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl

        In the last few weeks the UBL committee released candidate schemas (version
        0.70) for a three-month review period:

        http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/0p70

        Feedback instructions are on that page for anyone to comment on the work
        completed to date.

        >Alternatively does
        >anyone have an interest in becoming involved in a
        >project to create a "standard" XSLT library for this
        >purpose?

        I don't think you'll ever see a "standard" XSLT library ... but I am
        pushing very hard for a technology-agnostic "standard set of formatting
        specifications" that could be (and have been by us) implemented in XSLT or
        in any other presentation technology. You can see the (very!) draft work at:

        http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/0p70/fs

        All of the sample HTML and PDF files in this directory were created using
        Crane's UBL XSLT stylesheet library for HTML and XSL-FO. The UBL review
        download includes a frozen copy of Crane's library as of the start of the
        review period ... but we intend to keep our site copy up to date as changes
        are made (none yet, probably some coming up this week) and we may soon have
        something for XForms.

        Ambrosoft Inc. is supporting this UBL effort by freely releasing executable
        JAR versions of Crane's stylesheet library.

        A new subcommittee of UBL is in the process of being formed to develop
        these specifications as OASIS standards. Participation in the subcommittee
        is restricted to OASIS members, though the final work products are freely
        usable. Again, the specifications will be technology-agnostic and the
        committee will foster any and all implementations of the specifications in
        any technology by cataloguing known implementations for visitors to the
        subcommittee site.

        If you are not already an OASIS member, I encourage you to join in order to
        become part of the subcommittee ... we would love to have your input! We
        are trying to create the initial slate of members right now.

        I'm putting myself forward as the chair of the subcommittee (though I would
        welcome someone else to volunteer for chair as I'm supposed to be
        simplifying my life right now and resigning from committees) ... any OASIS
        members interested in participating are invited to contact me directly and
        I'll bring you up to speed with our preliminary status.

        I sincerely hope there will be many and varied implementations of these
        formatting specifications ... I look forward to seeing your efforts!

        --
        Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
        North America: June 16-20, 2003

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO