Re: [XSL-FO] Vert. alignment of list-item-label/-body (XEP 2.21)

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
      At 01/04/01 13:50 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
      >All works just fine, with one minor but irritating exception. That is, that
      >the pilcrow "bullets" are misaligned with the the list-item-body text. I'd
      >like the pilcrows and list-item-body to be aligned on their baselines;
      >however, the former are actually aligned slightly above the baseline --
      >about in the middle (vertical) of the list-item-body.
      >
      >Is there some built-in default which causes "bullets" to be raised above
      >the baseline? If so, is there some way to override this default?

      Yes, I've seen this as well and I figured it out from the spec.

      You'll see that for fo:list-item (6.8.3) the initial property for
      relative-align= (7.12.6) is "before", but needs to be set to "baseline" for
      it to appear properly.

      AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
      folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
      earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.

      I hope this helps.

      ...................... Ken

      Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
      Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
      Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
      Next public instructor-led training: 2001-04-06,05-01,05-14,05-15,
      - 05-16,05-17,05-21,05-22,06-18,06-21,07-20,07-21,09-19

      !!Five-day XSLT/XPath/XSLFO Training Blitz June 18-22, 2001 in Ottawa!!
    • John E. Simpson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
        G. Ken Holman wrote:

        > At 01/04/01 13:50 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
        >> Is there some built-in default which causes "bullets" to be raised above
        >> the baseline? If so, is there some way to override this default?
        >
        > Yes, I've seen this as well and I figured it out from the spec.
        >
        > You'll see that for fo:list-item (6.8.3) the initial property for
        > relative-align= (7.12.6) is "before", but needs to be set to "baseline" for
        > it to appear properly.

        Thanks, Ken!

        > AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
        > folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
        > earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.

        At the day job now, so I can't test it; but does this say that even if I
        set the fo:list-item's relative-align to "baseline" the thing still
        won't display properly in Xep?

        I will confess that while I like the general idea of AntennaHouse --
        it's more convenient as a development tool than the two-step transform
        (XML->FO, FO->PDF) process -- the thing crashes on me every single time
        I open it. (What it actually crashes is Explorer -- not IE, but the
        desktop Explorer. I can then continue to use AH, but I've lost the
        Systen Tray and a few other little baubles, until restarting. No way to
        write a book. :)
        John E. Simpson | "When I was a little kid we had a sand
        http://www.flixml.org | box. It was a quicksand box. I was an
        XML Q&A: www.xml.com | only child... eventually." (Steven Wright)
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
          At 01/04/02 09:06 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
          > > AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
          > > folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
          > > earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.
          >
          >At the day job now, so I can't test it; but does this say that even if I
          >set the fo:list-item's relative-align to "baseline" the thing still
          >won't display properly in Xep?

          For now, but the XEP folks have been very helpful and supportive and they
          are anxious to hear from us users as to what we think is priority and what
          isn't. I've told them that I would like to see the baseline support ASAP,
          so they have considered that with all of their other input when
          establishing their development priorities.

          >I will confess that while I like the general idea of AntennaHouse --
          >it's more convenient as a development tool than the two-step transform
          >(XML->FO, FO->PDF) process -- the thing crashes on me every single time
          >I open it.

          Ouch! I haven't had *any* problems with AntennaHouse, and their level of
          responsiveness has also been impressive. Sure there are some niggly
          things, and their decision to use the Microsoft XSLT processor inherited
          the bugs there that trip me up in my development environment.

          Both companies seem very eager to please, which is wonderful to see in the
          early stages of this technology development.