Re: [XSL-FO] Vert. alignment of list-item-label/-body (XEP 2.21)

  • John E. Simpson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
      Comparing the result I just reported to the list a few minutes ago, with
      the result I'd gotten on the previous version of the XSLT stylesheet (which
      didn't have the "helium-filled pilcrow" effect), I see I made one change.

      The change was to add the fo:basic-link element, to convert the
      fo:list-item-body's contents to a hyperlink.

      Could that somehow have created the problem? How are fo:basic-link FOs
      stacked within an fo:block?

      John E. Simpson | "I had a friend who was a clown. When
      http://www.flixml.org | he died, all his friends went to the
      XML Q&A: www.xml.com | funeral in one car." --Steven Wright
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
        At 01/04/01 13:50 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
        >All works just fine, with one minor but irritating exception. That is, that
        >the pilcrow "bullets" are misaligned with the the list-item-body text. I'd
        >like the pilcrows and list-item-body to be aligned on their baselines;
        >however, the former are actually aligned slightly above the baseline --
        >about in the middle (vertical) of the list-item-body.
        >
        >Is there some built-in default which causes "bullets" to be raised above
        >the baseline? If so, is there some way to override this default?

        Yes, I've seen this as well and I figured it out from the spec.

        You'll see that for fo:list-item (6.8.3) the initial property for
        relative-align= (7.12.6) is "before", but needs to be set to "baseline" for
        it to appear properly.

        AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
        folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
        earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.

        I hope this helps.

        ...................... Ken

        Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
        Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
        Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
        Next public instructor-led training: 2001-04-06,05-01,05-14,05-15,
        - 05-16,05-17,05-21,05-22,06-18,06-21,07-20,07-21,09-19

        !!Five-day XSLT/XPath/XSLFO Training Blitz June 18-22, 2001 in Ottawa!!
      • John E. Simpson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
          G. Ken Holman wrote:

          > At 01/04/01 13:50 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
          >> Is there some built-in default which causes "bullets" to be raised above
          >> the baseline? If so, is there some way to override this default?
          >
          > Yes, I've seen this as well and I figured it out from the spec.
          >
          > You'll see that for fo:list-item (6.8.3) the initial property for
          > relative-align= (7.12.6) is "before", but needs to be set to "baseline" for
          > it to appear properly.

          Thanks, Ken!

          > AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
          > folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
          > earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.

          At the day job now, so I can't test it; but does this say that even if I
          set the fo:list-item's relative-align to "baseline" the thing still
          won't display properly in Xep?

          I will confess that while I like the general idea of AntennaHouse --
          it's more convenient as a development tool than the two-step transform
          (XML->FO, FO->PDF) process -- the thing crashes on me every single time
          I open it. (What it actually crashes is Explorer -- not IE, but the
          desktop Explorer. I can then continue to use AH, but I've lost the
          Systen Tray and a few other little baubles, until restarting. No way to
          write a book. :)
          John E. Simpson | "When I was a little kid we had a sand
          http://www.flixml.org | box. It was a quicksand box. I was an
          XML Q&A: www.xml.com | only child... eventually." (Steven Wright)
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
            At 01/04/02 09:06 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
            > > AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
            > > folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
            > > earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.
            >
            >At the day job now, so I can't test it; but does this say that even if I
            >set the fo:list-item's relative-align to "baseline" the thing still
            >won't display properly in Xep?

            For now, but the XEP folks have been very helpful and supportive and they
            are anxious to hear from us users as to what we think is priority and what
            isn't. I've told them that I would like to see the baseline support ASAP,
            so they have considered that with all of their other input when
            establishing their development priorities.

            >I will confess that while I like the general idea of AntennaHouse --
            >it's more convenient as a development tool than the two-step transform
            >(XML->FO, FO->PDF) process -- the thing crashes on me every single time
            >I open it.

            Ouch! I haven't had *any* problems with AntennaHouse, and their level of
            responsiveness has also been impressive. Sure there are some niggly
            things, and their decision to use the Microsoft XSLT processor inherited
            the bugs there that trip me up in my development environment.

            Both companies seem very eager to please, which is wonderful to see in the
            early stages of this technology development.