Vert. alignment of list-item-label/-body (XEP 2.21)

  • John E. Simpson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
      I'm getting some strange results when creating a list item using XEP 2.21,
      and thinking there may be some property I can use to correct the problem.
      Only I don't know what the property is. :)

      Here's the relevant portion of the XSLT stylesheet:

      <fo:list-block font-size="8pt">
      <xsl:for-each select="review">
      <fo:list-item>
      <fo:list-item-label font-weight="bold">
      <fo:block>¶</fo:block>
      </fo:list-item-label>
      <fo:list-item-body>
      <fo:block margin-left="8pt">
      <fo:basic-link
      external-destination="url('{reviewlink/@xlink:href}')"
      text-decoration="underline" color="blue"><xsl:value-of
      select="."/></fo:basic-link>
      </fo:block>
      </fo:list-item-body>
      </fo:list-item>
      </xsl:for-each>
      </fo:list-block>

      The entity reference "¶" is for a pilcrow (paragraph symbol) to be
      used as the "bullet" for list items.

      All works just fine, with one minor but irritating exception. That is, that
      the pilcrow "bullets" are misaligned with the the list-item-body text. I'd
      like the pilcrows and list-item-body to be aligned on their baselines;
      however, the former are actually aligned slightly above the baseline --
      about in the middle (vertical) of the list-item-body.

      Is there some built-in default which causes "bullets" to be raised above
      the baseline? If so, is there some way to override this default?

      Thanks for any brainstorms!

      (P.S. Using Saxon as my XSLT processor, if that makes a difference.)

      John E. Simpson | "I had a friend who was a clown. When
      http://www.flixml.org | he died, all his friends went to the
      XML Q&A: www.xml.com | funeral in one car." --Steven Wright
    • John E. Simpson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
        Comparing the result I just reported to the list a few minutes ago, with
        the result I'd gotten on the previous version of the XSLT stylesheet (which
        didn't have the "helium-filled pilcrow" effect), I see I made one change.

        The change was to add the fo:basic-link element, to convert the
        fo:list-item-body's contents to a hyperlink.

        Could that somehow have created the problem? How are fo:basic-link FOs
        stacked within an fo:block?

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
          At 01/04/01 13:50 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
          >All works just fine, with one minor but irritating exception. That is, that
          >the pilcrow "bullets" are misaligned with the the list-item-body text. I'd
          >like the pilcrows and list-item-body to be aligned on their baselines;
          >however, the former are actually aligned slightly above the baseline --
          >about in the middle (vertical) of the list-item-body.
          >
          >Is there some built-in default which causes "bullets" to be raised above
          >the baseline? If so, is there some way to override this default?

          Yes, I've seen this as well and I figured it out from the spec.

          You'll see that for fo:list-item (6.8.3) the initial property for
          relative-align= (7.12.6) is "before", but needs to be set to "baseline" for
          it to appear properly.

          AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
          folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
          earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.

          I hope this helps.

          ...................... Ken

          Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products.
          Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3
          Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html
          Next public instructor-led training: 2001-04-06,05-01,05-14,05-15,
          - 05-16,05-17,05-21,05-22,06-18,06-21,07-20,07-21,09-19

          !!Five-day XSLT/XPath/XSLFO Training Blitz June 18-22, 2001 in Ottawa!!
        • John E. Simpson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
            G. Ken Holman wrote:

            > At 01/04/01 13:50 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
            >> Is there some built-in default which causes "bullets" to be raised above
            >> the baseline? If so, is there some way to override this default?
            >
            > Yes, I've seen this as well and I figured it out from the spec.
            >
            > You'll see that for fo:list-item (6.8.3) the initial property for
            > relative-align= (7.12.6) is "before", but needs to be set to "baseline" for
            > it to appear properly.

            Thanks, Ken!

            > AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
            > folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
            > earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.

            At the day job now, so I can't test it; but does this say that even if I
            set the fo:list-item's relative-align to "baseline" the thing still
            won't display properly in Xep?

            I will confess that while I like the general idea of AntennaHouse --
            it's more convenient as a development tool than the two-step transform
            (XML->FO, FO->PDF) process -- the thing crashes on me every single time
            I open it. (What it actually crashes is Explorer -- not IE, but the
            desktop Explorer. I can then continue to use AH, but I've lost the
            Systen Tray and a few other little baubles, until restarting. No way to
            write a book. :)
            John E. Simpson | "When I was a little kid we had a sand
            http://www.flixml.org | box. It was a quicksand box. I was an
            XML Q&A: www.xml.com | only child... eventually." (Steven Wright)
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
              At 01/04/02 09:06 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
              > > AntennaHouse respects the setting of the property value and the RenderX
              > > folks told me they have it on their to-do list from a report I made
              > > earlier, it just isn't yet to-done.
              >
              >At the day job now, so I can't test it; but does this say that even if I
              >set the fo:list-item's relative-align to "baseline" the thing still
              >won't display properly in Xep?

              For now, but the XEP folks have been very helpful and supportive and they
              are anxious to hear from us users as to what we think is priority and what
              isn't. I've told them that I would like to see the baseline support ASAP,
              so they have considered that with all of their other input when
              establishing their development priorities.

              >I will confess that while I like the general idea of AntennaHouse --
              >it's more convenient as a development tool than the two-step transform
              >(XML->FO, FO->PDF) process -- the thing crashes on me every single time
              >I open it.

              Ouch! I haven't had *any* problems with AntennaHouse, and their level of
              responsiveness has also been impressive. Sure there are some niggly
              things, and their decision to use the Microsoft XSLT processor inherited
              the bugs there that trip me up in my development environment.

              Both companies seem very eager to please, which is wonderful to see in the
              early stages of this technology development.