Re: [XSL-FO] XSL/XML AUDIO (it was [xsl] element-available() question)

  • Christopher R. Maden
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
      At 00:27 29-03-2001, AndrewWatt2001@... wrote:
      >Perhaps there has been a slight delay in my X-Smiles post getting through.

      No, I think I replied before you sent it.

      >The alternate approach I was alluding to is the use of SMIL to provide sound
      >and, of course, animation.

      Ah. The problem with that approach is that you can't just style an XML
      document into an audio presentation using SMIL. You can synchronize audio
      and text objects, yes, but you need to create those audio objects. That
      means having someone sit down and record a book - which is the ideal
      situation, but we're (or I am, anyway) considering the case where all you
      have to work with is a textual XML document and an XSL stylesheet. I don't
      believe that SMIL has facilities for triggering text-to-speech processing
      of a textual object, though I could be wrong.

      -Chris
      --
      Christopher R. Maden, XML Consultant
      PGP Fingerprint: BBA6 4085 DED0 E176 D6D4 5DFC AC52 F825 AFEC 58DA