Re: [XSL-FO] interest in FO "DOM lite"?

  • Ken MacLeod
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
      "Chris Ryland" <cpr@...> writes:

      > [Ken MacLeod writes:]

      > > I have created a "DOM lite" pattern that generally makes using DOM
      > > and DOM-like trees a lot simpler in dynamic languages like Perl
      > > and Python. Flow objects (going back to DSSSL-FO) have always
      > > been a target for this pattern, but I haven't reached the point
      > > where my need has led to implementation and maintenance of the FO
      > > nodes.

      > Can you give those of us who just joined some background here?

      A related question, probably much more basic, is: how many people are
      interested in DOM-level access to FO trees, however simple or not?

      It may be that some people are more interested in applying XSL-FO (via
      XSLT, browsers, and formatters) than in dealing with FOs directly.

      -- Ken
    • Ken MacLeod
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
        "Chris Ryland" <cpr@...> writes:

        > IMHO, as an interested implementation party, dealing with the DOM is
        > by far the most trivial aspect of implementing FO.

        Is there a good summary of those aspect somewhere?

        - formatting/rendering
        - interactive update
        - ???

        -- Ken
      • Chris Ryland
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
          IMHO, as an interested implementation party, dealing with the DOM is by far
          the most trivial aspect of implementing FO.

          Cheers!
          Chris Ryland * Em Software, Inc. * www.emsoftware.com