Multiple columns per page

  • mike_elola <mike_elola@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 14, 2003
      I appreciate answers to my basic questions. I've done Google searches, looked
      at authorative guides, but nowhere do I see any explanation or examples
      devoted to obtaining multiple columns per page (or master page). Hello! Is it
      asking too much of FO?
    • mznse <mzjn@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 15, 2003
        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "mike_elola <mike_elola@y...>"
        <mike_elola@y...> wrote:
        > I appreciate answers to my basic questions. I've done Google
        searches, looked
        > at authorative guides, but nowhere do I see any explanation or
        examples
        > devoted to obtaining multiple columns per page (or master page).
        Hello! Is it
        > asking too much of FO?

        The region-body has a property called column-count that controls the
        number of columns.

        http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice7.html#column-count

        /Mauritz
      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 16, 2003
          mike_elola wrote:
          > I appreciate answers to my basic questions. I've done Google searches, looked
          > at authorative guides, but nowhere do I see any explanation or examples
          > devoted to obtaining multiple columns per page (or master page). Hello! Is it
          > asking too much of FO?
          If you have FOP installed, take a look at
          docs/examples/region_body/simplecol.fo etc examples.

          --
          Oleg Tkachenko
          Multiconn Technologies, Israel
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
            hello, good morning.
            I want know a Question about XSL_FO. I have a XSLT,
            can I transform this XSLT to XSL-FO? is that easy?
            because I can make a XSLT with XML Spy (XSLT WYSIWYG),
            but only for HTML generation, and i need PDF too.
            thank you very much

            ------------
            ¡Internet GRATIS es Yahoo! Conexión!
            Usuario "yahoo", contraseña "yahoo".
            Desde Buenos Aires, 4004-1010.
            Otras ciudades: http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar/avanzados.html
          • Oleg Tkachenko
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
              Vilma Nora Gavilán Vargas wrote:

              > I want know a Question about XSL_FO. I have a XSLT,
              > can I transform this XSLT to XSL-FO? is that easy?
              Hehe, you may be surprised, but XSLT was designed primary for
              transforming to XSL-FO ;)

              > because I can make a XSLT with XML Spy (XSLT WYSIWYG),
              > but only for HTML generation, and i need PDF too.
              What's the problem? There is no difference actually.
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
                the Problem is that for html I have not sentence
                "fo:", ex:

                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                <fo:layout-master-set>
                <fo:simple-page-master>

                I need this for FOP, I cann´t understand what is
                different between XSL-FO and XSLT.

                I have a XML File, I want generate a XSL template, I
                use XML Spy, but I cann´t use this file in FOP, I
                don´t know what lacks in my file, but i can not use.

                thank you very much

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
                  Vilma Nora Gavilán Vargas wrote:
                  > the Problem is that for html I have not sentence
                  > "fo:", ex:
                  >
                  > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                  > <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
                  > <fo:layout-master-set>
                  > <fo:simple-page-master>
                  >
                  > I need this for FOP, I cann´t understand what is
                  > different between XSL-FO and XSLT.
                  >
                  > I have a XML File, I want generate a XSL template, I
                  > use XML Spy, but I cann´t use this file in FOP, I
                  > don´t know what lacks in my file, but i can not use.

                  Well, sorry, too many questions. Buy some XSL or XSL-FO book, it's always the
                  best way to learn.
                  --
                  Oleg Tkachenko
                  Multiconn Technologies, Israel
                • Giannetti, Fabio
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
                    Hi Vilma,
                    I think there is a little bit of confusion.
                    First of all let's make clear how you obtain the HTML and then it will be
                    clearer to understand what you need in order to produce the FO version.
                    Using an XSL-T processor you process some XML, using an XSL-T Stylesheet,
                    and you generate HTML. This is what the tool you are using is currently
                    doing.
                    If you want to generate XSL-FO you need a new XSL-T Stylesheet that creates
                    FO instead of HTML.
                    XSL-FO has quite a different structure than HTML, so it will not so easy to
                    translate the two formats.
                    If you are happy just translating your HTML into FO have a look to:
                    http://html2fo.sourceforge.net
                    If, instead, you want to design XSL-Ts for FO generation have a look for
                    Authoring Tools especially created for XSL-T/FO generation:
                    - Scriptura
                    - XSLFast
                    - FOA (this is more an authoring/engineering tool)

                    Fabio

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • sjb47 <sjb47@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
                      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Vilma Nora Gavilán Vargas >

                      <from Vilma's original post>
                      > > > because I can make a XSLT with XML Spy (XSLT
                      > > WYSIWYG),
                      > > > but only for HTML generation, and i need PDF too.
                      </from Vilma's original post>

                      <from Vilma's follow-up post>
                      > I have a XML File, I want generate a XSL template, I
                      > use XML Spy, but I cann´t use this file in FOP, I
                      > don´t know what lacks in my file, but i can not use.
                      </from Vilma's follow-up post>

                      Vilma,

                      If I understand correctly, you are generating your XML to HTML XSLT
                      sheet using the XMLSPY editor. AFAIK, they don't have a similar
                      editor for creating XML to XSL:FO XSLT sheets.

                      As others have pointed out, HTML and FO are pretty different. You're
                      going to need to learn XSL:FO to create your PDF from your XML
                      document. Books are good but I found
                      http://www.renderx.com/Tests/doc/html/tutorial.html to be a good
                      place to start. Yes, even 'though it is for XEP specifically, you
                      should get good information from there.

                      I also found a guide for HTML to XSL:FO conversion at http://www-
                      106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xslfo2app/. I have not had time
                      to look at this yet, so I don't know if it is helpful. However, the
                      developerWorks stuff is generally very good. The reason I haven't
                      looked at this yet is because I actually want my PDF to look very
                      different from my HTML, but YMMV.

                      HTH,

                      Steven
                    • W. Eliot Kimber
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 9 6:34 AM
                        mike_elola wrote:
                        > I appreciate answers to my basic questions. I've done Google searches, looked
                        > at authorative guides, but nowhere do I see any explanation or examples
                        > devoted to obtaining multiple columns per page (or master page). Hello! Is it
                        > asking too much of FO?

                        You can define multiple columns in the body region, as defined in a
                        simple-page-master:

                        <fo:simple-page-master master-name="my-body-page">
                        <fo:region-body
                        column-count="2"/>
                        </fo:simple-page-master>

                        To get different column counts on different pages you must use different
                        page masters--without extensions you can't have different column layouts
                        on the same page. That is, with XSL FO 1.0 there's no standard way to
                        have a page with a three-column area and a two-column area (although
                        some FO implementations have provided extensions to do this).

                        Cheers,

                        Eliot
                        --
                        W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...