RE: [XSL-FO] XSL/XML AUDIO (it was [xsl] element-available() question)

  • Christopher R. Maden
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2001
      At 23:28 28-03-2001, bryan wrote:
      >here we're really getting off the xsl-fo subject, but which is preferable
      >ssml or voiceXML and for what reasons?
      >also what implementations of ssml are out there that you can recommend.

      Honestly, I don't know. I'm a fully-sighted person and highly
      visually-oriented, so I don't use speech synthesis. However, I've been
      following the WAI, and participating to a degree, since its inception, so I
      understand a few of the issues. It looks to me, as an outside observer,
      like VoiceXML and the Java Speech API Markup Language laid down some
      groundwork in the form of an initial implementation, and now SSML is an
      attempt to distill previous work into an improved specification. The
      people working on SSML are heavyweights, and I have a fair bit of
      confidence in their abilities.

      -Chris
      --
      Christopher R. Maden, XML Consultant
      PGP Fingerprint: BBA6 4085 DED0 E176 D6D4 5DFC AC52 F825 AFEC 58DA
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2001
        In a message dated 28/03/01 15:53:20 GMT Daylight Time, carmelo@...
        writes:

        Actually my question is much basic than that.   If I have a stylesheet and I
        wanted
        to apply the "aural" properties (such as azimuth) to xml data.  How do I get
        the sound in there?, dos it just takes text and translate it into sound?

        I guess I don't know where the sound will come from .........

        Greetings,
        Carmelo

        Carmelo,

        There is another approach which you (or perhaps other group members) might
        want to look at. That is the X-Smiles multi-namespace browser.

        I had been intending to hold back on a post about X-Smiles until I had put an
        example or two up on the Web but just now I am too busy with other things.

        I will post separately on X-Smiles and add it to the group links.

        Andrew Watt
      • Christopher R. Maden
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2001
          At 00:07 29-03-2001, AndrewWatt2001@... wrote:
          >In a message dated 28/03/01 15:53:20 GMT Daylight Time, carmelo@...
          >writes:
          >>Actually my question is much basic than that. If I have a stylesheet and I
          >>wanted
          >>to apply the "aural" properties (such as azimuth) to xml data. How do I get
          >>the sound in there?, dos it just takes text and translate it into sound?
          >
          >There is another approach which you (or perhaps other group members) might
          >want to look at. That is the X-Smiles multi-namespace browser.

          I don't remember all of the details about X-Smiles, and I can't find the
          link right now (except that it's definitely *NOT* xsmiles.com - don't go
          there if you're at work). But I don't remember any aural rendering
          capabilities - did I miss them?

          -Chris
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2001
            In a message dated 29/03/01 09:16:35 GMT Daylight Time, crism@...
            writes:

            I don't remember all of the details about X-Smiles, and I can't find the
            link right now (except that it's definitely *NOT* xsmiles.com - don't go
            there if you're at work).  But I don't remember any aural rendering
            capabilities - did I  miss them?

            Hi Chris,

            The URL is http://www.x-smiles.org/.

            Perhaps there has been a slight delay in my X-Smiles post getting through.

            The alternate approach I was alluding to is the use of SMIL to provide sound
            and, of course, animation.

            The URL for the demo I was referring to is
            http://www.xsmiles.org/demo/demos.xml

            Of course, you need the X-Smiles browser to see the SMIL working within the
            XSL-FO document. ... Be warned, if you have a slow Internet connection this
            one takes a LOOOOONG time to download. Go and make a cup of coffee while it
            is downloading. :)

            As I said in my post on X-Smiles, company reports may never be the same
            again. :)

            Regards

            Andrew Watt
          • Christopher R. Maden
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
              At 00:27 29-03-2001, AndrewWatt2001@... wrote:
              >Perhaps there has been a slight delay in my X-Smiles post getting through.

              No, I think I replied before you sent it.

              >The alternate approach I was alluding to is the use of SMIL to provide sound
              >and, of course, animation.

              Ah. The problem with that approach is that you can't just style an XML
              document into an audio presentation using SMIL. You can synchronize audio
              and text objects, yes, but you need to create those audio objects. That
              means having someone sit down and record a book - which is the ideal
              situation, but we're (or I am, anyway) considering the case where all you
              have to work with is a textual XML document and an XSL stylesheet. I don't
              believe that SMIL has facilities for triggering text-to-speech processing
              of a textual object, though I could be wrong.

              -Chris