RE: [XSL-FO] Tables

  • Hallman, Chuck (NIH/NIEHS)
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2003
      Thanks...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Chris Bowditch [mailto:bowditch_chris@...]
      Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 3:50 AM
      To: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [XSL-FO] Tables

      >From: "Hallman, Chuck (NIH/NIEHS)" <hallman1@...>
      >
      >Question:
      >
      >If I only create, say five, fo:table-cells and I have defined 7 columns for
      >the table is there any known problems with doing this? The processor seems
      >fine with it and there are no "noticable" problems. But I wonder if it
      >could
      >cause other unforeseen issues that just haven't bit me yet ...

      There is nothing wrong with defining 7 columns and then putting 5
      fo:table-cells on row, and 4 on another, etc. There will only be an error if

      you try to put 8 fo:table-cells into a row....

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Aidan Mark Humphreys
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2003
        In the Nightjar book Dave Pawson says:

        <<
        XSL is not like HTML. It is mostly unnecessary to use tables for
        layout as has been done in HTML. The XSL-FO vocabulary provides
        so much more than HTML that you shouldn't fall back on tables
        simply to obtain an effect you have achieved on the Web. The
        table formatting is for formatting tabular data. There may be
        circumstances where table based formatting is necessary, but
        they are rare.

        Do you agree with that statement?

        Many modern page designs are based around grid layouts.
        Magazines and brochures are a typical examples - where text and
        graphic elements are layed out on a page to suggest 3:2 or 4:3
        column width ratios. Graphics elements are floated accross
        columns of off the page margins.

        It seems to me that it is rather hard to achieve this effect
        with the limited float and column span capablities of FO,
        without resorting to tables or lists.

        Am I missing something?

        Aidan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2003
          At 2003-06-14 19:28 +0200, Aidan Mark Humphreys wrote:
          >Many modern page designs are based around grid layouts.
          >Magazines and brochures are a typical examples - where text and
          >graphic elements are layed out on a page to suggest 3:2 or 4:3
          >column width ratios. Graphics elements are floated accross
          >columns of off the page margins.
          >
          >It seems to me that it is rather hard to achieve this effect
          >with the limited float and column span capablities of FO,
          >without resorting to tables or lists.
          >
          >Am I missing something?

          I don't think you are missing anything ... yes, multi-columns happen to be
          limited in XSL-FO 1.0 ... make sure the editors know what your requirements
          are for future revisions of the Recommendation.

          One caveat about table-based formatting that is true in both HTML and
          XSL-FO, you cannot direct the formatter to flow from one column to the
          next, so even if you could lay out your columns as desired with arbitrary
          gaps and widths, you would not be able to let the formatter flow content
          from the bottom of one column to the top of the next. You *can* place an
          arbitrary amount of content in each column, but you have to guess how much
          will fit (typically not possible).

          I hope this helps.

          --
          Upcoming hands-on courses: (registration still open!)
          - (XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO) North America: June 16-20, 2003

          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
          ISBN 1-894049-11-X Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
          Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners: http://XMLGuild.info