Looking for a site with high-level "what is FO" information

  • Matt Keller <mkeller10@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
      I'm going to have to give a little 10 minute talk to my co-workers
      about FO. Many of them will be very XML savvy, so I intend to give
      some specific examples. However, I would also like to present some
      very high level "what is XSL-FO?" and "what is good about XSL-FO"
      type information. Does anyone here know of a site or another good
      source that spells out some of this high-level information?

      Thanks,

      -Matt
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
        At 2003-02-03 17:26 +0000, Matt Keller <mkeller10@...> wrote:
        >I'm going to have to give a little 10 minute talk to my co-workers
        >about FO. Many of them will be very XML savvy, so I intend to give
        >some specific examples. However, I would also like to present some
        >very high level "what is XSL-FO?" and "what is good about XSL-FO"
        >type information. Does anyone here know of a site or another good
        >source that spells out some of this high-level information?

        We have published for free access the full text of the introductory
        chapters of the electronic book that we sell off our web site:

        Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
        (Extensible Stylesheet Language Formatting Objects)
        Third Edition - 2002-09-05 - ISBN 1-894049-10-1
        Copyright (c) 2002 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
        / 396 Pages / Subscription price includes free updates,
        / / soft-copy of included examples, and an
        / / accessible rendition and 10 PDF renditions.
        / / Free 206-page download preview excerpt.

        We hope to show prospective buyers the nature of what they are getting
        before they pay, while at the same time making the high-level overview
        stuff freely available. It also has handy summaries at the back and the
        hyperlinks in the PDF take you directly to the HTML of the Recommendation
        itself.

        Please go to the "Book Sales" link at the top of our home page noted below
        in order to download the free preview excerpt.

        I hope this helps.

        ................... Ken

        p.s. another edition should be out in the next four weeks; the purchase of
        any edition gives free access to all future editions at no charge, so you
        are always kept up to date with the latest we have to say about the subject.

        --
        Upcoming hands-on in-depth Europe: February 17-21, 2003
        XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO North America: June 16-20, 2003

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
          Matt Keller wrote:
          > I'm going to have to give a little 10 minute talk to my co-workers
          > about FO. Many of them will be very XML savvy, so I intend to give
          > some specific examples. However, I would also like to present some
          > very high level "what is XSL-FO?" and "what is good about XSL-FO"
          > type information. Does anyone here know of a site or another good
          > source that spells out some of this high-level information?

          First chapters of Dave Pawson's book "An introduction to XSL Formatting
          Objects" might be helpful. See
          http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/index.html.

          --
          Oleg Tkachenko
          eXperanto team
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
            Matt Keller wrote:
            > I'm going to have to give a little 10 minute talk to my co-workers
            > about FO. Many of them will be very XML savvy, so I intend to give
            > some specific examples. However, I would also like to present some
            > very high level "what is XSL-FO?" and "what is good about XSL-FO"
            > type information. Does anyone here know of a site or another good
            > source that spells out some of this high-level information?

            You might find the paper I presented at XML 2002 helpful:
            www.isogen.com/papers/production-quality-xsl-fo.pdf

            Cheers,

            Eliot
            --