Re: [XSL-FO] Windows Fonts With Glyphs for Unicode Miscelaneous Symbols

  • Klaas_Bals@inventivedesigners.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2003
      Eliot,

      Strange enough, the windows 'Symbol' font is not a unicode font. It is just
      a font with 256 characters which are in an ANSI Symbol character set.

      You really need a unicode font that describes the characters in the many
      different symbol ranges. On my PC (Win XP Pro) I can find the 'Times New
      Roman Special G1' and '...G2' fonts which fullfill this requirement (for
      some symboil ranges, I'm not sure about yours).

      I suggest you take a look at the Microsoft Font Properties Extension
      (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm) which is a
      handy tool to explore truetype fonts.

      Best regards,
      -----
      Klaas Bals - Project Leader & Technical Designer
      Inventive Designers
      Direct Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210183
      Office Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
      Office Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
      Email: Klaas_Bals@...

      "W. Eliot
      Kimber" To: XSL-FO@...
      <eliot@isogen. cc:
      com> Subject: [XSL-FO] Windows Fonts With Glyphs for Unicode Miscelaneous Symbols

      26/01/2003
      23:44
      Please respond
      to XSL-FO

      I'm using XSL Formatter under windows and I'm trying to figure out which
      font I should expect to have a glyph for characters in the Miscelaneous
      Symbols region of Unicode (\u2600-2689). In this case I'm trying to get
      a white right pointing index.

      I've tried this font-family specification to no avail:

      <fo:inline font-family="Wingdings, Symbol, fantasy,
      sans-serif">☞</fo:inline>

      Thanks,

      Eliot
      --