RE: [XSL-FO] Urgent - FOP Performance when using TTF font!

  • Roland Neilands
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
      > I'm using fop-0.20.4rc
      Try 0.20.5rc, there were apparently some performance improvements.

      > It takes more than 5 seconds with 100% CPU usage to finish the above
      > statement. The performance will be greatly improved if I removed
      > those blocks in using chinese font.
      >
      > As our company required to generated many pdfs with chinese fonts,
      > any ideas for improving this performance issue? Many thanks for any
      > recommendation and comments.
      There is also a fop-user list, check the fop website for the
      archive/subscription details.

      Good luck,
      Roland
    • andycheungkwokshun <andycheungkwokshun@y
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2003
        Thanks Roland! I have tried to use 0.20.5c but even slower! I also
        search from fop-user and many other newsgroup/usergroups but no
        related font-related performance issue are raised.

        Actually, I finally found that it is a problem of creating the
        chinese font when rendering. As the generated xml file for the
        chinese is nearly 1MB, it is quite time consuming for loading xml
        file for further processing. So, I'm trying to preload that font when
        creating the Driver. Any advise or comments on this approach? Thanks
        a lot!

        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Roland Neilands" <rneilands@p...>
        wrote:
        > > I'm using fop-0.20.4rc
        > Try 0.20.5rc, there were apparently some performance improvements.
        >
        > > It takes more than 5 seconds with 100% CPU usage to finish the
        above
        > > statement. The performance will be greatly improved if I removed
        > > those blocks in using chinese font.
        > >
        > > As our company required to generated many pdfs with chinese fonts,
        > > any ideas for improving this performance issue? Many thanks for
        any
        > > recommendation and comments.
        > There is also a fop-user list, check the fop website for the
        > archive/subscription details.
        >
        > Good luck,
        > Roland
      • Oleg Tkachenko
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2003
          andycheungkwokshun wrote:

          > Actually, I finally found that it is a problem of creating the
          > chinese font when rendering. As the generated xml file for the
          > chinese is nearly 1MB, it is quite time consuming for loading xml
          > file for further processing. So, I'm trying to preload that font when
          > creating the Driver. Any advise or comments on this approach? Thanks
          > a lot!
          Probably font metrics preloading does may help you, but that's too
          FOP-specific question, why don't you ask on fop-user mail list?

          --
          Oleg Tkachenko
          eXperanto team
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2003
            hello,

            I use fop 0.20.5.
            I have a file.bat with:

            Fop -xsl fo.xsl -xml temp.xml -pdf temp.pdf
            Fop -xsl fo.xsl -xml temp2.xml -pdf temp2.pdf

            when I double click on file.bat, only the first line of order is carried
            out. why?

            gilles
          • Oleg Tkachenko
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2003
              gilles grandon wrote:

              > I use fop 0.20.5.
              > I have a file.bat with:
              >

              > Fop -xsl fo.xsl -xml temp.xml -pdf temp.pdf
              > Fop -xsl fo.xsl -xml temp2.xml -pdf temp2.pdf
              >
              > when I double click on file.bat, only the first line of order is carried
              > out. why?
              Well, who remember msdos batch file syntax nowadays? :)

              call Fop -xsl fo.xsl -xml temp.xml -pdf temp.pdf
              call Fop -xsl fo.xsl -xml temp2.xml -pdf temp2.pdf