Re: [XSL-FO] Re: Question about tables

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2003
      At 2003-01-08 17:43 +0000, gpearson_ccc <gpearson@...> wrote:
      >OK, I did some reading up on this, so I'd like to get my conclusions
      >verified:
      >
      >Assume I need to do a table with no surrounding border, but with
      >borders separating all rows and columns, regardless of cell spans and
      >layout (sort of like a tic-tac-toe layout).

      Ummmmmm .... you cannot border rows and columns if the cells span them ...
      you can border the cells and where they are coincident with rows and
      columns then style or numeric precedence will come into play.

      >If I specify border-collapse="collapse-with-precedence",

      Yes, but the default "collapse" works as well because you can use style
      precedence.

      >then specify
      >at the table level no border (how do I do this...border-width of 0?),

      That, or border-style="hidden" to give it higher precedence than the cells.

      >then specify surrounding borders for each cell, will this accomplish
      >what I want to do? In other words, does this direct FO to ignore the
      >left border for left-most cells?

      Yes. The example below gives me the tic-tac-toe you mentioned when using
      Antenna House.

      >I think my other problem is that I am using XEP as my formatting
      >engine, and they apparently don't support this option for collapse-
      >border values.

      That will give you problems, yes ... you will have to work at a
      cell-by-cell basis turning of that cell's sides, because the table's border
      is not coincident with the cells' borders.

      ................... Ken

      <block>x</block>
      <block>x</block>
      <block>x</block>
      <block>x</block>
      <block>x</block>
      <block>x</block>
      <block>x</block>
      <block>x</block>
      <block>x</block>

      --
      Upcoming hands-on in-depth North America: February 3- 7,2003
      XSLT/XPath and XSL-FO Europe: February 17-21,2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO