Re: [XSL-FO] converting msword document to xs-fo

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
      At 2003-01-07 23:12 -0800, asim nazir wrote:
      >I WANT TO KNOW, HOW CAN I CONVERT A .DOC DOCUMENT TO
      >XSL-FO.
      >WHAT ARE THE STEPS REQUIRED.
      >CAN I CONVERT IT DIRECTLY FROM .DOC TO FO.

      The AbiWord word processor at http://www.abisource.com will open a
      Microsoft .doc file and save an XSL-FO .fo file. I have not assessed how
      complete or accurate it is doing so.

      I hope this helps.

      ................ Ken

      --
      Upcoming hands-on in-depth North America: February 3- 7,2003
      XSLT/XPath and XSL-FO Europe: February 17-21,2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
    • Ronald Muller
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
        Not usefull, only for *VERY* simple documents.

        Ronald

        At 2003-01-07 23:12 -0800, asim nazir wrote:
        >I WANT TO KNOW, HOW CAN I CONVERT A .DOC DOCUMENT TO
        >XSL-FO.
        >WHAT ARE THE STEPS REQUIRED.
        >CAN I CONVERT IT DIRECTLY FROM .DOC TO FO.

        The AbiWord word processor at http://www.abisource.com will open a
        Microsoft .doc file and save an XSL-FO .fo file. I have not assessed how
        complete or accurate it is doing so.

        I hope this helps.

        ................ Ken

        --
        Upcoming hands-on in-depth North America: February 3- 7,2003
        XSLT/XPath and XSL-FO Europe: February 17-21,2003

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Kiki
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
          I tried Abiword on a .doc file:
          - I had to modify some part of the resluting .fo
          file in order to make it compliant to FOP,
          I changed <fo:page-sequence master-name="..."> to
          <fo:page-sequence master-reference="...">
          I changed "Times New Romans" to "Times Roman"
          Then it worked, but I agree with Ronald, it has to be
          used only for simple documents!

          -

        • Giannetti, Fabio
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
            you can have a look to WH2FO.
            It converts an HTML file generated with Word 2000 into XML and XSL-T,
            applying the XSL-T to the XML content you can obtain the FO file.
            I don't know how complex are your documents, but I believe it worth have a
            go !
            http://wh2fo.sourceforge.net
            Fabio

          • Ronald Muller
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
              Not an "one click" solutions, but it works (in my case) fine, also for complicated documents. One of the best solutions I am aware of at this moment.
              At this moment I am looking for another solutions: we are migrating from Word to OpenOffice (have a look at OpenOffice!), converting from Word to OpenOffice is simple. OpenOffice is using XML files for storing the documents. We are using this data to generate FO documents. But we are not far yet, so I cannot tell you if it works.

              Good luck

              Ronald