Re: [XSL-FO] converting msword document to xs-fo

  • shura@novosoft.ru
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
      Hello Azim,

      I would recommend you to use our RTF2FO converter.
      You can take it at www.rtf2fo.com.

      Only one thing is needed - to convert your DOC files to RTF.

      Alex.

      01/08/2003 13:12:10 asim nazir wrote:
      >hello,
      >I WANT TO KNOW, HOW CAN I CONVERT A .DOC DOCUMENT TO
      >XSL-FO.
      >WHAT ARE THE STEPS REQUIRED.
      >CAN I CONVERT IT DIRECTLY FROM .DOC TO FO.
      >OR
      >I WOULD HAVE TO MOVE FROM .DOC DOCUMENT TO XML TO XSL
      >AND FROM THERE TO FO OR WHAT?
      >ASIM

      Alexander A. Pakhutin
      Sales Manager
      Novosoft Inc, Custom software development and web design since 1992

      mailto: shura@...
      Internet pager: 79029863925@...
      Phone: Novosoft toll-free 1-866-849-0354 (For USA and US territories only)
      Phone: +7 (3832) 30-34-69
      Fax: +7 (3832) 34-20-35
      E-fax number: for US +1 707 922 0104; for UK +44 870 134 5154

      ICQ: 75104109; AOL: saahp; MSN: AlexP;

      For more visit http://www.novosoft-usa.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
        At 2003-01-07 23:12 -0800, asim nazir wrote:
        >I WANT TO KNOW, HOW CAN I CONVERT A .DOC DOCUMENT TO
        >XSL-FO.
        >WHAT ARE THE STEPS REQUIRED.
        >CAN I CONVERT IT DIRECTLY FROM .DOC TO FO.

        The AbiWord word processor at http://www.abisource.com will open a
        Microsoft .doc file and save an XSL-FO .fo file. I have not assessed how
        complete or accurate it is doing so.

        I hope this helps.

        ................ Ken

        --
        Upcoming hands-on in-depth North America: February 3- 7,2003
        XSLT/XPath and XSL-FO Europe: February 17-21,2003

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      • Ronald Muller
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
          Not usefull, only for *VERY* simple documents.

          Ronald

          At 2003-01-07 23:12 -0800, asim nazir wrote:
          >I WANT TO KNOW, HOW CAN I CONVERT A .DOC DOCUMENT TO
          >XSL-FO.
          >WHAT ARE THE STEPS REQUIRED.
          >CAN I CONVERT IT DIRECTLY FROM .DOC TO FO.

          The AbiWord word processor at http://www.abisource.com will open a
          Microsoft .doc file and save an XSL-FO .fo file. I have not assessed how
          complete or accurate it is doing so.

          I hope this helps.

          ................ Ken

          --
          Upcoming hands-on in-depth North America: February 3- 7,2003
          XSLT/XPath and XSL-FO Europe: February 17-21,2003

          ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
          ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Kiki
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
            I tried Abiword on a .doc file:
            - I had to modify some part of the resluting .fo
            file in order to make it compliant to FOP,
            I changed <fo:page-sequence master-name="..."> to
            <fo:page-sequence master-reference="...">
            I changed "Times New Romans" to "Times Roman"
            Then it worked, but I agree with Ronald, it has to be
            used only for simple documents!

            -

          • Giannetti, Fabio
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
              you can have a look to WH2FO.
              It converts an HTML file generated with Word 2000 into XML and XSL-T,
              applying the XSL-T to the XML content you can obtain the FO file.
              I don't know how complex are your documents, but I believe it worth have a
              go !
              http://wh2fo.sourceforge.net
              Fabio

            • Ronald Muller
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2003
                Not an "one click" solutions, but it works (in my case) fine, also for complicated documents. One of the best solutions I am aware of at this moment.
                At this moment I am looking for another solutions: we are migrating from Word to OpenOffice (have a look at OpenOffice!), converting from Word to OpenOffice is simple. OpenOffice is using XML files for storing the documents. We are using this data to generate FO documents. But we are not far yet, so I cannot tell you if it works.

                Good luck

                Ronald