Re: [XSL-FO] End of Document

  • W. Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
      hortomb wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > Is there any way to have my xsl-fo output document end exactly with
      > the last bit of data I pull from my xml document?
      >
      > It seems to add a lot of white space to the end of my document, which
      > I assume is the rest of the page not being used. I want to get rid
      > of this and have the page end with the information. My prolem is,
      > that I will have different lengths of information in each document.
      > Is there a solution to this?

      We need a bit more info about exactly what you're trying to do, but one
      technique is to use fo:footnote on the last page to force content to the
      bottom of the page. You can also put content into the region-after to do
      the same thing.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
      Consultant, ISOGEN International

      1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
      Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
    • hortomb <hortomb@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2003
        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@i...> wrote:
        > We need a bit more info about exactly what you're trying to do, but
        one
        > technique is to use fo:footnote on the last page to force content
        to the
        > bottom of the page. You can also put content into the region-after
        to do
        > the same thing.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Eliot
        > --

        I'm pulling invoice data from an xml document and creating a text
        file with it. Everything is working great except the end of the
        document has extra white space. Here's an example of my output:

        TD ELC69ICOMPUTA005STER041202 76.02
        13.30041202041202 4148800 89.32
        TN ELC69RKHP212170 76.02HP Deskjet 3820 colour printer
        TV ELC69S 76.02 13.30
        TD ELC80IROCOM005 STER091202 18.32
        4.34091202091202 3306340 22.66
        TN ELC80RWJE415110 18.32BT Converse 125 handset -
        Alpine White
        TV ELC80S 18.32 4.34

        I'd like the last TV line to be the end of the document (page), but
        it adds a few lines to the end, which I guess it is finishing off the
        page. My problem is, that the document will always be a different
        length with different data. I'm not sure how to do this, or if it is
        even possible. Let me know if that clears it up.

        Thanks,

        Mike
      • W. Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2003
          hortomb wrote:

          > I'm pulling invoice data from an xml document and creating a text
          > file with it. Everything is working great except the end of the
          > document has extra white space. Here's an example of my output:
          >
          > TD ELC69ICOMPUTA005STER041202 76.02
          > 13.30041202041202 4148800 89.32
          > TN ELC69RKHP212170 76.02HP Deskjet 3820 colour printer
          > TV ELC69S 76.02 13.30
          > TD ELC80IROCOM005 STER091202 18.32
          > 4.34091202091202 3306340 22.66
          > TN ELC80RWJE415110 18.32BT Converse 125 handset -
          > Alpine White
          > TV ELC80S 18.32 4.34
          >
          > I'd like the last TV line to be the end of the document (page), but
          > it adds a few lines to the end, which I guess it is finishing off the
          > page. My problem is, that the document will always be a different
          > length with different data. I'm not sure how to do this, or if it is
          > even possible. Let me know if that clears it up.

          Do you want the text on the last page to be forced to the end of the
          page or do you want the text "vertically justified" so that the spacing
          between the lines is such that the text fills the entire page?

          If the latter, then there's no way to do it in XSL 1.0--it doesn't
          provide a vertical justification mechanism that would do this--you would
          have to know where the break to the last page is and then adjust the
          leading until it filled the page--this is a form of "layout-aware"
          formatting that XSL 1.0 explicitly doesn't step up to.

          If the former, I think you can do it by have a last-page page master and
          setting the display-align property to "after" for the region-body (but
          I'd have to do an experiment to verify this--it's not something I've tried).

          Cheers,

          Eliot