End of Document

  • hortomb <hortomb@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
      Hello,

      Is there any way to have my xsl-fo output document end exactly with
      the last bit of data I pull from my xml document?

      It seems to add a lot of white space to the end of my document, which
      I assume is the rest of the page not being used. I want to get rid
      of this and have the page end with the information. My prolem is,
      that I will have different lengths of information in each document.
      Is there a solution to this?

      Thanks,

      Mike
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
        hortomb wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Is there any way to have my xsl-fo output document end exactly with
        > the last bit of data I pull from my xml document?
        >
        > It seems to add a lot of white space to the end of my document, which
        > I assume is the rest of the page not being used. I want to get rid
        > of this and have the page end with the information. My prolem is,
        > that I will have different lengths of information in each document.
        > Is there a solution to this?

        We need a bit more info about exactly what you're trying to do, but one
        technique is to use fo:footnote on the last page to force content to the
        bottom of the page. You can also put content into the region-after to do
        the same thing.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
        Consultant, ISOGEN International

        1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
        Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
      • hortomb <hortomb@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2003
          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@i...> wrote:
          > We need a bit more info about exactly what you're trying to do, but
          one
          > technique is to use fo:footnote on the last page to force content
          to the
          > bottom of the page. You can also put content into the region-after
          to do
          > the same thing.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Eliot
          > --

          I'm pulling invoice data from an xml document and creating a text
          file with it. Everything is working great except the end of the
          document has extra white space. Here's an example of my output:

          TD ELC69ICOMPUTA005STER041202 76.02
          13.30041202041202 4148800 89.32
          TN ELC69RKHP212170 76.02HP Deskjet 3820 colour printer
          TV ELC69S 76.02 13.30
          TD ELC80IROCOM005 STER091202 18.32
          4.34091202091202 3306340 22.66
          TN ELC80RWJE415110 18.32BT Converse 125 handset -
          Alpine White
          TV ELC80S 18.32 4.34

          I'd like the last TV line to be the end of the document (page), but
          it adds a few lines to the end, which I guess it is finishing off the
          page. My problem is, that the document will always be a different
          length with different data. I'm not sure how to do this, or if it is
          even possible. Let me know if that clears it up.

          Thanks,

          Mike
        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2003
            hortomb wrote:

            > I'm pulling invoice data from an xml document and creating a text
            > file with it. Everything is working great except the end of the
            > document has extra white space. Here's an example of my output:
            >
            > TD ELC69ICOMPUTA005STER041202 76.02
            > 13.30041202041202 4148800 89.32
            > TN ELC69RKHP212170 76.02HP Deskjet 3820 colour printer
            > TV ELC69S 76.02 13.30
            > TD ELC80IROCOM005 STER091202 18.32
            > 4.34091202091202 3306340 22.66
            > TN ELC80RWJE415110 18.32BT Converse 125 handset -
            > Alpine White
            > TV ELC80S 18.32 4.34
            >
            > I'd like the last TV line to be the end of the document (page), but
            > it adds a few lines to the end, which I guess it is finishing off the
            > page. My problem is, that the document will always be a different
            > length with different data. I'm not sure how to do this, or if it is
            > even possible. Let me know if that clears it up.

            Do you want the text on the last page to be forced to the end of the
            page or do you want the text "vertically justified" so that the spacing
            between the lines is such that the text fills the entire page?

            If the latter, then there's no way to do it in XSL 1.0--it doesn't
            provide a vertical justification mechanism that would do this--you would
            have to know where the break to the last page is and then adjust the
            leading until it filled the page--this is a form of "layout-aware"
            formatting that XSL 1.0 explicitly doesn't step up to.

            If the former, I think you can do it by have a last-page page master and
            setting the display-align property to "after" for the region-body (but
            I'd have to do an experiment to verify this--it's not something I've tried).

            Cheers,

            Eliot