Re: [XSL-FO] showing Arabic text

  • Oleg Tkachenko
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2003
      shahzad badar wrote:

      > Can anyone help me that how Fop handles Arabic
      > characters?
      >
      > If I open this XML code in internet explorer it gives
      > you a correctly
      > displayed Arabic word.
      > <value
      > xml:lang="AR">جدول</value>
      >
      > If I insert the exact Arabic code in my XML and
      > translate the XML into PDF
      > using FOP, It shows #### instead of actual charaters.
      >
      > I also used fo:bidi-override when translating from xml
      > to pdf using FOP 0.20.4
      > <fo:block font-weight="bold"
      > space-before.optimum="4pt">
      > <fo:bidi-override
      > direction="rtl">جدول</fo:bidi-override>
      > </fo:block>
      >
      > I get this error
      > property - "direction" is not implemented yet.
      >
      > Please tell me what is the solution of this problem
      > with example?

      There is no simple ready solution. At the moment fop just doesn't support
      neither bidi nor shaping. I'm working on implementing writing-mode and bidi in
      fop1.0 and it looks pretty feasible with new fop's design. But don't ask me
      when fop1.0 is going to be ready :)
      And those #### glyphs actualy have nothing to do with arabic or bidi - # is
      just "missing character glyph" in fop, that means there is no glyph for a
      character in a font in use. You have to add arabic-aware font to fop (see
      http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html) and don't forget to use font-family
      property in your stylesheet.

      --
      Oleg Tkachenko