Re: [XSL-FO] Side notes and "end-run" footnotes

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
      At 2003-01-06 09:17 -0800, Bob Wilow wrote:
      >I am trying to use XSL-FO to generate output with the
      >following characteristics related to side notes (notes
      >that go on the edge of the page related to the main
      >text in the middle):

      Many of these are related to synchronization between the flow in the body
      region and the content in the perimeter regions ... and there are no
      synchronization facilities in XSL-FO 1.0.

      >1) The side notes should stack on each other starting
      >at the top of the page

      A retrieved marker would get you to the top of the side region, but it
      would only be able to retrieve one note, and never more than one, so what
      you need cannot yet be done.

      >2) There are three kinds of side notes: a) type 1 must
      >always be at the top; b) type 2 flow in order (after
      >any type 1 side notes); c) type 3 are presented
      >"end-run" in a single block that is always the last
      >side note on a page

      Again, if there was only one "type 2", then you could use three markers in
      the side region ... but you still fall short with what is available.

      >3) If there is not enough space on either the left or
      >right page to accommodate all of the side notes, type
      >2 notes flow between the two pages

      This is a synchronization issue.

      >4) Footnotes should be presented "end-run" (no new
      >line between footnotes)

      Footnote bodies in XSL-FO 1.0 are block-level constructs, so you will not
      be able to do this either.

      >Using "float" puts the side notes to the side but does
      >not help in getting them to start at the top and does
      >not handle the rules for the three different types of
      >side notes.

      Correct ... a float stays within the body region and incurs into the text,
      forcing the text to flow around the float, and is anchored relative to
      where the float is found in the flow, not in the page.

      >Help resolving any of these issues would be a great
      >benefit.
      >
      >Any suggestions?

      Not with XSL-FO 1.0 ... your best action at this point is to formalize
      these requirements into use cases and sending them to
      mailto:xsl-editors@... so that the committee can consider how your needs
      fit with their plans for the next version of the specification.

      I hope this helps, though I realize it doesn't answer your questions in the
      short term.

      --
      Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
      - North America: Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO