Re: [XSL-FO] Side notes and "end-run" footnotes

  • W. Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
      Bob Wilow wrote:
      > I am trying to use XSL-FO to generate output with the
      > following characteristics related to side notes (notes
      > that go on the edge of the page related to the main
      > text in the middle):
      >
      > 1) The side notes should stack on each other starting
      > at the top of the page
      >
      > 2) There are three kinds of side notes: a) type 1 must
      > always be at the top; b) type 2 flow in order (after
      > any type 1 side notes); c) type 3 are presented
      > "end-run" in a single block that is always the last
      > side note on a page

      I don't think there's any way to do what you want with XSL 1.0 because
      of the limitations in the float model and the fact that you can only
      have one flow per page. If you just wanted side nodes aligned vertically
      with their reference and they didn't need to break across pages, you
      could do that with side floats, but the top and bottom requirements, as
      well as the collection of notes require the ability to know what page a
      given set of notes occur and XSL 1.0 simply doesn't provide those
      features yet.

      This is certainly an interesting set of requirements. Would you be
      willing to post these requirements and some sample pages to the EXSLFO
      mailing list (see http://exslfo.sourceforge.net). Part of the EXSLFO
      project is gathering requirements that cannot currently be satisfied by
      XSL 1.0.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@...
      Consultant, ISOGEN International

      1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
      Austin, TX 78752 Phone: 512.656.4139
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
        At 2003-01-06 09:17 -0800, Bob Wilow wrote:
        >I am trying to use XSL-FO to generate output with the
        >following characteristics related to side notes (notes
        >that go on the edge of the page related to the main
        >text in the middle):

        Many of these are related to synchronization between the flow in the body
        region and the content in the perimeter regions ... and there are no
        synchronization facilities in XSL-FO 1.0.

        >1) The side notes should stack on each other starting
        >at the top of the page

        A retrieved marker would get you to the top of the side region, but it
        would only be able to retrieve one note, and never more than one, so what
        you need cannot yet be done.

        >2) There are three kinds of side notes: a) type 1 must
        >always be at the top; b) type 2 flow in order (after
        >any type 1 side notes); c) type 3 are presented
        >"end-run" in a single block that is always the last
        >side note on a page

        Again, if there was only one "type 2", then you could use three markers in
        the side region ... but you still fall short with what is available.

        >3) If there is not enough space on either the left or
        >right page to accommodate all of the side notes, type
        >2 notes flow between the two pages

        This is a synchronization issue.

        >4) Footnotes should be presented "end-run" (no new
        >line between footnotes)

        Footnote bodies in XSL-FO 1.0 are block-level constructs, so you will not
        be able to do this either.

        >Using "float" puts the side notes to the side but does
        >not help in getting them to start at the top and does
        >not handle the rules for the three different types of
        >side notes.

        Correct ... a float stays within the body region and incurs into the text,
        forcing the text to flow around the float, and is anchored relative to
        where the float is found in the flow, not in the page.

        >Help resolving any of these issues would be a great
        >benefit.
        >
        >Any suggestions?

        Not with XSL-FO 1.0 ... your best action at this point is to formalize
        these requirements into use cases and sending them to
        mailto:xsl-editors@... so that the committee can consider how your needs
        fit with their plans for the next version of the specification.

        I hope this helps, though I realize it doesn't answer your questions in the
        short term.

        --
        Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
        - North America: Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

        ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
        ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO