Re: [XSL-FO] FOP and text file generation

  • Serge Shikov
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "SUCHETA LELE" <lelesucheta@...>
      To: <XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [XSL-FO] FOP and text file generation

      Hi,

      > You have said that I should use pure XSLT for text output. But the text
      > output is also formatted. The amounts are aligned, tables are required,
      > columns are required, table headers/footers are required. Page breaks need
      > to be handled.
      Thats not "plain text", strictly speaking. It's formatted text. FOP and
      XSL-FO isn't the best tool for such output generation. I can propose some
      intermediate format in such cases, like TeX or troff, and then use other
      tool to convert result into formatted text.

      > So how do you suggest that I use XSLT instead of FOP for text output
      > generation? I am open to any suggestions provided my problem can be
      resolved
      > and I can get the output properly.
      Use two-stage process:
      - generate plain text output, marked by TeX or troff mark-up
      - convert marked text into formatted text using appropriate tool

      I'm not sure about FOP, but I think this also could be achieved with XEP,
      using custom output generator.