Demonstrable back of the book index methodology for XSL-FO 1.0

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2002
      The XSL-FO 1.0 page-number citation facility is well-suited for the
      generation of tables of content but ill-suited for back-of-the-book indexes
      where the cited pages must be arbitrarily massaged into ranges and
      singleton pages.

      I've just implemented back-of-the-book indexes for the next edition cycle
      of our electronic books. It mostly involves XSLT and XSL-FO 1.0 ... the
      catch is to use the PDF output format for an intermediate pass and a
      no-charge download for extracting text from PDF files. The model will work
      for other final form print formats where the canvas content can be extracted.

      I've distilled a working demonstration and the XSLT stylesheets for doing
      this to illustrate the methodology. I introduced this methodology during
      the question and answer period of Eliot Kimber's XSL-FO case study at the
      Extreme Markup conference in Montréal last August. I only got the chance
      to implement it last week.

      Only one no-charge PDF to text download has been identified so far ... I'm
      hoping other XSL-FO users will tell me of other tools meeting the free
      criteria.

      Please visit the "Resource Library (free developer tools)" link from our
      home page cited below.

      Feedback is welcome!

      --
      Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
      - North America: Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

      ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath
      ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO
      Next conference training: 2003-03-03,06